Tax and Recurring Billing for eWAY Payment gateway

This forum is for questions and issues arising from the use of AbleCommerce 7.0 outside the United States. International purchases of AbleCommerce 7.0 are way up. Thank you!
gunter
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Tax and Recurring Billing for eWAY Payment gateway

Post by gunter » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:51 am

Hi All,

We are working on an eWAY payment gateway for Australia (based on your supplied Authorize.Net code) and we are almost done but have hit a small snag and could use some help.

How do we get the recurring amount returned including Tax (if applicable) for subscription products?

The authorizeRequest.Amount and authorizeRequest.RecurringCharge properties only return the principal (ex Tax) price. As we need to charge GST (10% Goods and Services Tax) on all transaction to Australian residents.

Is this possible?

Tax Treated as a Separate Transaction
Also - If we assign Tax to a subscription product when the transaction occurs Able seems to run 2 initial transactions - the Tax component is processed separately to the principal price for the recurring amount - which seems a little odd - the result is that we get a processed transaction fully completed for the Tax and a pending ReBill (recurring) payment showing for the principal in eWAY as pending (along with the other future recurring payments)

Digital Goods Issues
This has other implications when it comes to Digital Goods. If you have a Digital Good set to Activate when payment is complete it will activate as soon as the tax component of the price is paid – NOT when the recurring transactions should have been finalized. If you set the product so that it is not taxable then it functions as expected.

Any thoughts?

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Tax and Recurring Billing for eWAY Payment gateway

Post by mazhar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:23 am

Code: Select all

How do we get the recurring amount returned including Tax (if applicable) for subscription products?

The authorizeRequest.Amount and authorizeRequest.RecurringCharge properties only return the principal (ex Tax) price. As we need to charge GST (10% Goods and Services Tax) on all transaction to Australian residents.

Is this possible?
try following code to get total amount or products + tax

Code: Select all

payment.Order.Items.TotalPrice(new OrderItemType[] { OrderItemType.Product, OrderItemType.Tax });

gunter

Post by gunter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Mazhar,

Thanks for the code - it may well come in handy, but I think I may have phrased that part of the post badly and not quite got my point across - let me clarify.

I believe this is a Bug with Able

I am trying to determine if the current Able (7.0.3) functionality is a bug or not - in regards to the issues raised above. just to recap:

Possible Bugs

Recurring charges do not include the tax

It would seem logical to me that if a product was taxable that the tax be added to each recurring payment. It would appear this is not currently the case. This can be worked around easily enough but it could have other implications (eg invoicing).

Invoice

Is there any way for a customer to get a copy of their invoice for the full amount of the sale? either once all of the recurring charges have been processed or at the point of sale stating the recurring charges that will be processed in the future? When we view an order as a customer it only seems to show the initial payment amount.

Separation of the tax on the initial payment

If we don't make the product taxable then the system works fine but if we do (as we are required to by law) the system processes the tax separately at checkout. This returns a Captured payment for just the tax component (the recurring initial charge less tax is treated as a separate transaction) - this then activates the digital products that should not have been active until Full payment is received.
Again we can work around this by making the digital goods activate manually but it is not a proper fix.

IMHO the tax should be included as part of the initial recurring charge - this would solve the activation problems and make more sense logically. It would also mean that the system would not show 2 payment transactions for the order and all the associated double handling if refunds are required.

Cancel Recurring Error
We also get an error if we try to Cancel a recurring transaction

I mentioned eWAY in the first post because I wanted to make it clear that there was custom gateway code involved - in case ther was any chance that it was relevant to the issues, however I don't believe it is.

I would love to know if you agree that these are issues and if they could possibly be looked at for future fixes.

Thanks

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:29 am

The issues are under testing by QA team, let see what they come up with.