Any one know how to set up Puerto Rico as a shipping zone?

This forum is for questions and issues arising from the use of AbleCommerce 7.0 outside the United States. International purchases of AbleCommerce 7.0 are way up. Thank you!
Big Back Grips
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Any one know how to set up Puerto Rico as a shipping zone?

Post by Big Back Grips » Thu May 20, 2010 9:21 am

I can't get Able to recognize PR as a US shipping. It has is classified as a foreign country. And won't offer any shipping methods.

tachia
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Re: Any one know how to set up Puerto Rico as a shipping zone?

Post by tachia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Can anyone assist me with this question? I have a problem with Puerto Rico and the Virigin Islands. I think they should work the same for USPS as Alaska and Hawaii, but PR and USVI do not show up.

tachia
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by tachia » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:41 am

I never got this corrected. I just worked around it and created a special shipping prices for (PR and US Virigin Islands). The issue I have that sometimes international customers (UK, China, etc) select this because it's cheaper and we contact them to let them know the actual rate. No one with AbleCommerce has ever updated me on this issue. You learn to create roundabout ways to correct issues. If you get a response, please let me know.

Tachia

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:50 pm

You should be able to go into the country management area, access the united states, and add in state/province entries for Puerto Rico (PR) and the US Virgin Islands (VI). I tested just now and after doing this it returns rates with the USPS integrated shipping provider.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

crockettdunn
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by crockettdunn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 am

I'm going down this same path and running into trouble with the shipping ESTIMATOR. I have added the appropriate international shipping methods for my carrier (UPS Wordwide Expedited, UPS Worldwide Express Saver), and this is working for the COUNTRY, "Virgin Islands, British." Using the COUNTRY, "Virgin Islands, U.S." is returning shipping methods when a postal code is configured (as we have added a post code filter inc: 008*.

However the shipping estimator fails to return methods, and does not allow the input of a postal code when selecting country = "Virgin Islands, U.S."

It seems clunky to ask users to treat the US Virgin Islands as a STATE/PROVINCE, but the British Virgin Islands as a COUNTRY.

What is the best practice established by other vendors?

Thanks,
Crockett

EDIT: to summarize my situation- I have shipping working for U.S., Canada, Virgin Islands British, Trinidad and Tobago, Cayman Islands, and Costa Rica... but NOT Virgin Islands, U.S. Can someone provide guidance?

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:21 am

I don't know if it is still true, but USPS and UPS treated Puerto Rico differently, maybe Virgin Islands is the same thing. We had to set them both up as a country and as a province in the US to get all available rates.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

crockettdunn

Post by crockettdunn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 am

I've narrowed down my problem. Zones are returning correct methods at CHECKOUT, when I am able to specify a postal code. However, the shipping ESTIMATOR is not allowing postal code input for VI and PR.

crockettdunn

Post by crockettdunn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Anyone know how the shipping estimator decides whether to show a postal code field for a given country?

crockettdunn

Post by crockettdunn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:45 am

found the answer in configure: store: postal code countries.