tips (gratuity)

This forum is for questions and issues arising from the use of AbleCommerce 7.0 outside the United States. International purchases of AbleCommerce 7.0 are way up. Thank you!
spike_nw
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

tips (gratuity)

Post by spike_nw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:21 am

Hi,

We deliver stuff from our Able 7.0 store with courier and would like to add gratuity option to Able.
Just a drop down list - 5%, 10%, etc.

I see it like this:
User selects amount on checkout page and total recalculates.
Also, tips amount is shown on checkout page and in confirmation emails on separate lines.

Not sure where to start. As far as I understand, nothing like this exists in Able 7.0.
Has anybody run across existing plug-in?
Is it difficult to code something like this?
Please give me some direction, I can do some .NET but not familiar with Able architecture. :-((((
Thanks in advance!

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: tips (gratuity)

Post by mazhar » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:56 am

Well you will be required to do some custom coding to accomplish this. Have a look at following thread
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13934

In above thread custom credit is being added to the cart as item. So you can try to put your different gratuity options in some dropdown list some where in checkout process. Then when customer chooses some option and presses continue simply create one basket item as described in sample thread and add it to basket. You will be able to access that basket item on checkout pages and order confirmation Email as well.

plugables
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Re: tips (gratuity)

Post by plugables » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 am

You will have to carefully select where you want to put the gratuity option. It is an additional step in checkout. The most obvious place seems to be the checkout page. However OnePageCheckout page is one of the most complicated pages in AC store. It needs to be customized very carefully. Once the user selects a gratuity option and you add a basket item to the basket you will have to re-calculate and re-initiate the checkout. It might be easier to handle the gratuity option on the basket page instead.