Custom Payment Methods

This forum is for questions and issues arising from the use of AbleCommerce 7.0 outside the United States. International purchases of AbleCommerce 7.0 are way up. Thank you!
Mark Harris
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Custom Payment Methods

Post by Mark Harris » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:36 pm

We need to be able to accept bank transfers both international and domestic. This means we need a way to be able to input our Account Name, BSB Number and Account number for domestic, and Account Name, Number, SWIFT Code and Bank Address for international.

I'm happy to make my own module, but the question is,how does it get recognised with AC and how to i then go about modifying the database/order pages for tihs new information that is coming from/going to the bank module?

Any source code for a module would be appreciated.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Re: Custom Payment Methods

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:30 pm

It seems this is equivalent to the "Echeck" payment method, correct?

You could modify the eCheck payment form (Checkout/PaymentForms) so that it would collect the additional fields. The bits of info collected on the form is saved to a data dictionary. You an add any custom values you want. They will be saved to the dictionary and displayed automatically on the admin side.

You would need a custom payment gateway that knows how to handle the transfers, unless you do this step manually.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

Mark Harris

Post by Mark Harris » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Logan,

Not really what we're after.

With an IBT (International Bank Transfer) a user from say, Germany, will choose to pay via IBT. They need to be shown the details for payments, no payment is collected by the store. A user then goes to their bank, or bank's website (if they support online banking) and then processes the payment themselves using the details which we displayed. Then they would be able to contact us and let us know they paid, usually providing a receipt for their payment.

With domestic EFT (electronic funds transfer) payments a user will purchase using the method and be shown payment details. They then go to their internet banking website (all the banks here have it) and transfer the money, usually providing us with a copy of the text from the receipt page.

We use PayPal primarily for international orders, however our distributors are generally buying tens, or hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear form us. Anything over $1000 is cheaper to have sent via IBT as it's a flat AU$22 fee from our bank, whereas paypal is a percentage. For domestic transactions, people tend to prefer it (including us) because we get the money within an hour or two, there are no fees, and it doesnt require credit cards or any details at all to be shared.

PayPal is also a bit of a pain because it takes 3-5 days to retrieve money from the account to Australia.

jozburn
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by jozburn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:58 am

I'd like to follow up on this idea of custom payment methods.

I'd like to implement the ability to pay via payroll deduction. What I'm thinking is to utilize the purchase order payment type. I would use employee id as the 'PO Number'. I would also add additional fields to the form to obtain supporting data, like number of payrolls, department number, etc.

Logan noted that you can add additional fields to the form, and the data would be added to the data dictionary, and displayed on the admin side.

My question is two-fold. Would Logan's idea work for the method I'd like to implement and if so, is the storage in the data dictionary automatic, or do steps need to be taken to implement it? Is there any documentation available on how to do so?

Thanks in advance.

sohaib
Developer
Developer

Post by sohaib » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:52 am

Yes you can implement this using the described approach. If you follow the pattern used in implementing payment gateways the data items will be automatically stored to the database. For orders paid via 'pay be payroll' method you may also want to update the order page for merchant admin so that he could see the additional values that are stored.