Automated calculation of shipping box type, quantity and wgt

This forum is for questions and issues arising from the use of AbleCommerce 7.0 outside the United States. International purchases of AbleCommerce 7.0 are way up. Thank you!
WylieE
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Automated calculation of shipping box type, quantity and wgt

Post by WylieE » Mon May 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Background:
Warmoth uses slightly more than a dozen different sized boxes for shipping. Most of these are used for international shipping as well. When calculating shipping costs, we use a standard schedule based on total charges for US shipments. For international shipments, shipping is charged based on the weight and quantity of the boxes used for shipping. Our products are *not* uniform in size or shape. Multiple items can fit in one box in most cases. Our sales reps know our product lines well and are good at estimating the type and quantity of boxes necessary to ship an order. This allows us to give the customers accurate final cost estimates at the time an order is placed.

Question: We would like to automate the freight calculation process so accurate international shipping costs can be generated online and without the assistance of a sales reps. Apparently there is quite a bit of theory behind box utilization and how to maximize the usage of space without exceeding any weight restrictions. Has anyone worked out any realistic formulas for determining box type/quantity/weight for determining shipping costs?

Thanks,
Eric.
Eric Wylie
Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc.
http://www.warmoth.com

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Re: Automated calculation of shipping box type, quantity and wgt

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Sometimes when I lay awake at night, this is problem I think about. Our software doesn't solve it yet. The ability to look at a pile of items and reason a good way to package them into given box sizes shows the complexity and power of the human mind.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.