Converting StoreFront data to AbleCommerce

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Converting StoreFront data to AbleCommerce

Post by afm » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm

This is a followup to my post in the 7.0.2 thread,

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=9820&p=42929&hilit ... ont#p42929

Several people have asked me about the conversion and I thought it would be easier to find the answers if I put them all in one place:

Q. Is this a product or a service?
A. A service, at least for now. There are several manual steps.

Q. How do we get started?
A. I need 3 things: a way to access the StoreFront data, a way to access your existing AbleCommerce data, and a way to get the AbleCommerce data back to you.

Q. How do you access the StoreFront data?
A. If the database is accessible via the internet, then I can access the database directly. Otherwise I will need a backup or an SQL script that recreates the database (such as the script that SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard creates).

Q. Why do you need to access my existing AbleCommerce data?
A. When I convert the data, I don't want to overwrite your existing data (admin user, test products, etc). So I need to know what is already in the database.

Q. How will you deliver the AbleCommerce data?
A. If you are running AbleCommerce 7.0.0, I can send you a DataPort XML file, or import the data directly to AC using my copy of DataPort. If you are running AbleCommerce 7.0.1 or 7.0.2, I can deliver a database backup file or an SQL script that will create the data.

Q. What is converted?
A. See http://www.talloaksoftware.com/conversions.aspx.

Q. Does anything have to be done after the conversion?
A. Add your payment gateway, your shipping methods, and tax rates.

Q. What about the old StoreFront URLs in Google? Where will they go?
A. When I send you the converted data, I also send you a custom version of SearchResult.aspx and Detail.aspx for your AbleCommerce website. They will redirect the old StoreFront URLs to the new AbleCommerce URLs using a 301 Permanent Redirect.

Q. How much does it cost?
A. I charge according to the amount of time it takes me. That depends on how "clean" the data is (for example, some StoreFront categories tables are messed up and I need to figure out how which rows are real), and how we are exchanging data. If you would like a quote, please send me an email at support@structured-solutions.net.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing