Problem EXPORTING UTF-8

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
mkeith1
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Problem EXPORTING UTF-8

Post by mkeith1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Problem EXPORTING UTF-8 using Alt symbols

How do i fix an export file so that alt symbols are legible?

i have a number of foreign products which have words using alt symbols like:
à á ü ý ñ Ë È Æ Ù Ë

it seems like i spend half my time fixing export files with messed up alt symbols, I've tried using open office to open the .csv file using the UTF-8 format, and also using Excel, but when i open up the file, i see this happening.

so far, the only fix has been to replace these characters with english letters like a, y y n E U, etcetera.

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Re: Problem EXPORTING UTF-8

Post by Naveed » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:30 am

The problem is not with the export. But with the editors you are using...
They are not correctly parsing the UTF-8 csv files. For your satisfaction I have re-tested the above characters by creating a product with name "à á ü ý ñ Ë È Æ Ù Ë" and exported in CSV and XML format. And every thing exported fine.

If you are using the Excel 2003 or above follow these steps to correctly open the exported CSV files in Excel:

1. Export your data in CSV file.
2. Open Excel window and from "File" menu select "Open" and browse the CSV file.
3. Excel will open the "Text Import Wizard". Select/make sure the options as shown in screen capture. ( These are the default options when you open a CSV file in EXCEL using open menu item).

4. Click "Next" and from step 2 select the appropriate Text Delimiter and Qualifiers. Default values for DataPort are COMMA as text delimiter and DOUBLE QUOTE as text qualifier. However if you have changed while exporting you can select here.

5. Carry on to next steps and your data is imported properly..

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:32 am

Here is the screen capture for "Text import wizard" in EXCEL

spikeinin
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by spikeinin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:47 am

Export your abstracts in CSV file. Accessible Excel window and from "File" card baddest "Open" and browse the CSV file. Excel will accessible the "Text Import Wizard". Select/make abiding the options as apparent in awning capture.