Categories do not show up in the right place after importing

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
scooter85
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Categories do not show up in the right place after importing

Post by scooter85 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:55 pm

I am having a problem loading the parts with the categories. The parts
aren't matching up to the correct category. After several days of testing I
have found the problem which is the program doesn't match the whole category
when uploading. See the following example:

I am trying to place product into the following category
Paper Mache:Paper Mache Boxes:Heart Boxes

But when I upload the product it's not in this category. I also have a
category "Angel Wings:Paper Mache" and the program is creating a new
categories "Paper Mache Boxes:Heart Boxes" under the "Angel Wings:Paper
Mache" category and placing the product in these new categories.

We have many many categories with similar names and the program is only matching
the 1st thing it comes to and not the whole category/sub-category name.

I also don't find a way to upload product discounts or upsell items? I have
over 2,000 discounts to load. If I have to load the discounts by hand it
may take as much as 5 minutes for each one!

scooter85

Re: Categories do not show up in the right place after importing

Post by scooter85 » Sat May 23, 2009 4:04 pm

This is some more information on the above problem.

Our AbleCommerce version is:
PLATFORM: ASP.NET
VERSION: 7.0
BUILD: 10152

With Data Port Utility version:
AbleCommerce DataPort
Version 7.0.34.0

Just wondering if there was any known problems with either of these creating the problems stated in the previos post.

Thanks,
Scott DePriest
scott@d-cc.com

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Mon May 25, 2009 10:23 am

I am unable to reproduce the problem with AbleCommerce DataPort 7.0.34 and online 7.0.0 demo. My test CSV contains following information

Code: Select all

"ProductId","StoreId","Name","Price","CostOfGoods","MSRP","Weight","Length","Width","Height","Manufacturer","Sku","ModelNumber","DisplayPage","TaxCode","Shippable","WarehouseId","Warehouse","InventoryModeId","InStock","InStockWarningLevel","ThumbnailUrl","ThumbnailAltText","ImageUrl","ImageAltText","Summary","Description","ExtendedDescription","Vendor","CreatedDate","LastModifiedDate","ProductTemplate","IsFeatured","IsProhibited","AllowReviews","AllowBackorder","WrapGroup","ExcludeFromFeed","HtmlHead","DisablePurchase","MinQuantity","MaxQuantity","VisibilityId","Theme","IconUrl","IconAltText","IsGiftCertificate","Categories","UseVariablePrice","MinimumPrice","MaximumPrice","SearchKeywords","HidePrice","MSExcelWorkAround"
"0","1","dataport7 test inner duplicate","100.00","0","0","0","0","0","0","","","","","","Yes","1","7.0 Stable Store","0","0","0","","dataport7 test","","dataport7 test","","","","","5/25/2009 1:30:06 PM","5/25/2009 1:30:06 PM","","False","False","False","False","","False","","False","0","0","0","","","dataport7 test","False","rootcat:subcat:subcat-1:subcat-2","False","0","0","","False","Do not delete"
You can check 7.0.0 demo here
http://demo.ablecommerce.com/ac7_stable/
for rootcat holding the outcomes of import. Could you please post CSV causing problem with one or two entries?

scooter85

Post by scooter85 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:05 pm

You need to create the following categories:

Angel Wings – then sub category “Paper Mache” so you end up with the following

Angel Wings:Paper Mache

-----

Then set up category a new category

Paper Mache – then sub category “Paper Mache Boxes”, then sub sub category “Heart Boxes” so you end up with the following

Paper Mache:Paper Mache Boxes:Heart Boxes

-----

Then go into a couple of products and assign them to the category “Heart Boxes” under Paper Mache:Paper Mache Boxes.

After this is done you can export your products and then import them back into the store and you will find them under the Anger Wings:Paper Mache category.

Best regards,

Jeff

The above message is from Jeff who is setting up the products and categories. I am working on getting him a registration to reply directly.
Thanks for responding Mazhar,
Scott

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks for detailed information, I am able to reporduce the case. I have logged the issue you can track it here
http://bugs.ablecommerce.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8098

The problem seems to be due to two categories having same name. I am taking about categories with name Paper Mache. One quick workaround could be to use different names for these categories. For example just rename your second category with name Paper Mache to Paper Mache where in second one I just placed two spaces between Paper and Mache and import will work fine.

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Fri May 29, 2009 8:44 am

dynami wrote: This is similar to an issue I had posted on an earlier date.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10290

So will having the same name for a sub-category with a differnt parent still create the same issue? For example I have the follwing parent - sub cats:

Charms (parent1) - Silver (sub3)
Neckalces(parent2) - Silver (sub4)
It was a bug and the reported problem is fixed, however the fix will be available for next release of DataPort.

dynami wrote: Also, I came across another odd problem. I was trying to set up a development environment and duplicate my categories and products for test. When I import the categories, they are all messed up.
After looking I realized that the production export has category numbers missing from the sequence of ids. I'm guessing that deleted categies are not showing up?

Then when I tried to import the category list into the development environment, it dis-regards the id and numbers them all in sequence. For example production has id's up to #75. After importing into development, ids only go to #58

Is this a bug, or is my development category info messed up?
No, it is not a bug, actually when you import some AC7 object(like categories) the new Id's are automatically assigned. However old id's are used for references.
Please have a look the following thread for a detailed discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10962

The above thread discusses about categories CSV import. The xml import also uses a similar approach when mapping the old Id's to new Id's and tries to correctly map the relations/associations between objects to each other.