Importing/Updating Products

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
john@idplususa.com
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Importing/Updating Products

Post by john@idplususa.com » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:34 am

We are currently running our website on Version 7.0.0 with a build # 11359.

We are trying to upload our product line from a .csv file using the Able Commerce DataPort 7.1.35. Each time we import the .csv file (using the Products Data Upload button) it is duplicating the items we are trying to update. Or more accurately it is creating a brand new item with the same name.

We have made sure that the information in the 'ProductId' column, 'Sku' column, and 'Name' column all have the same data as the ones currently on our site. But the program doesn’t seem to recognize that it is the same product.

If we try to just UPDATE the information and SKIP the IMPORTING of new objects the website does not update any information. If we select to IMPORT new objects and UPDATE existing objects it just creates a brand new part.

What are we missing?

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Re: Importing/Updating Products

Post by Naveed » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:05 am

john@idplususa.com wrote:We are currently running our website on Version 7.0.0 with a build # 11359.
You should better use DataPort vs. 7.0.34. DataPort 7.1.35 is for 7.0.1 version of stores.

However regarding the update issue you are facing seems a little strange. I think it should work in the given conditions. I will investigate it in more details...

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:11 am

I was trying to reproduce the problem with no luck. Could you please post the sample CSV that is causing problem.

john@idplususa.com
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by john@idplususa.com » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Naveed wrote: You should better use DataPort vs. 7.0.34. DataPort 7.1.35 is for 7.0.1 version of stores.

However regarding the update issue you are facing seems a little strange. I think it should work in the given conditions. I will investigate it in more details...
We have tried to use the 7.0.34 version of Data port but it will not even upload the items onto the website. it comes back with a message that says that all of the comlums we have do not match the current template. The template is the default one though.

The newer version 7.1.35 will at least load the items onto our website it just will not update them. (Makes a copy instead)
mazhar wrote:I was trying to reproduce the problem with no luck. Could you please post the sample CSV that is causing problem.
I have attached a sample of the products we are trying to upload. Thank you for the help.
TestC.zip

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:00 am

There were some syntax and formatting problems with the attached CSV file. I have updated and re-attached a modified file. Here is brief about the issues:

1. The productId should be an integer. You were using some string (probably sku as ProductId). If you are importing new products then just populate this field with zero (0) value. The new productId will be automatically assigned while importing. In your CSV data I have populated the ProductId field with zero value.

2. There was a box symbol in your CSV data which was causing the issue. I think that was some kind of line break character in the last two records under "Summary" data. I have removed the symbol to correct the issue.

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 am

john@idplususa.com wrote:We have tried to use the 7.0.34 version of Data port but it will not even upload the items onto the website. it comes back with a message that says that all of the comlums we have do not match the current template. The template is the default one though.

The newer version 7.1.35 will at least load the items onto our website it just will not update them. (Makes a copy instead)
Most probably you were facing the issue with DataPort vs. 7.0.34 because of invalid CSV data. It is again recommended to you to use DataPort vs. 7.0.34 with your 7.0.0 stores. Also do not forgot to upload the correct version of CommerceBuilder.DataClient.Api.dll to your store BIN directory.

john@idplususa.com
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by john@idplususa.com » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:20 pm

Thank you both very much it works great now. We didn't realize we couldn't use letters (and characters) for the productID but now that we are only using numbers it seems to work great.