Product Import: Syntax for Multiple Categories using DPort?

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
hautebox
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Product Import: Syntax for Multiple Categories using DPort?

Post by hautebox » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:24 pm

I am attempting to import individual products and associate them to multiple categories - both root and sub-category levels.

I assume from the CSV template that the label "Categories" (see below from the Wiki), will allow for the importation into more that one.

If so, I haven't found the required syntax (ie. Snacks Salty or Entrees Beef Chicken etc).

Question: If multiple categories allowed, what is the required syntax necessary to separate the category names?

ie. Is the separator a colon, comma, quote, ??? (Entrees: Beef:) ???

Complete list of fields for Products CSV Import:
ProductId
StoreId
Name
Price
CostOfGoods
MSRP
Weight
Length
Width
Height
Manufacturer
Sku
ModelNumber
DisplayPage
TaxCode
Shippable
WarehouseId
Warehouse
InventoryModeId
InStock
InStockWarningLevel
ThumbnailUrl
ThumbnailAltText
ImageUrl
ImageAltText
Summary
Description
ExtendedDescription
Vendor
CreatedDate
LastModifiedDate
ProductTemplate
IsFeatured
IsProhibited
AllowReviews
AllowBackorder
WrapGroup
ExcludeFromFeed
HtmlHead
DisablePurchase
MinQuantity
MaxQuantity
VisibilityId
Theme
IconUrl
IconAltText
IsGiftCertificate
Categories <--------------
UseVariablePrice
MinimumPrice
MaximumPrice
SearchKeywords
HidePrice

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Product Import: Syntax for Multiple Categories using DPort?

Post by mazhar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:28 am

For multiple categories all you needed is comma separated names of categories. for example like
........., ........., ................................., Categories , ..................
".......", ".......", "...............................", "Category 1, Category 2, Category 3 , "................."

In above example consider sample product belongs to three categories Category 1, Category 2 and Category 3.

hautebox

Post by hautebox » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:02 am

That syntax only appears to work with root level categories.

I have a root level cat named "Breakfast", and a sub-cat named "Breakfast Tacos"

I attempted to load the dataset (see below)...it created a "new" (did not exist before) root level cat "Breakfast Tacos" - populated that "new" category with the data below....BUT.... kept the existing sub-cat named "Breakfast Tacos" but did not populate the appropriate data...

Is there a syntax to get the data to populate at the sub-category level?

Sku Name Price Category
0100-0300-0001 Sweet Potato Pancakes, two Slices of Turkey Bacon 6.45 Breakfast, Breakfast Tacos
0100-0400-0001 Light Natural Honey Flavored Yoghourt Tossed with Golden Raisin Walnuts and Pecans 6.95 Breakfast, Breakfast Tacos
0100-0400-0002 Light Natural Yoghourt Tossed with Red Berry Salad (Blueberry Raspberry) 6.95 Breakfast, Breakfast Tacos

sfeher
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by sfeher » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 am

Our syntax (that works) is to place a colon between the Category names in the CSV file. Upon import, these then get setup as being 'cross-listed' categories.

Item1..,Products,...
Item2..,Products:Hospital Piping Systems:Gauges,...
Item3..,Products:Hospital Piping Systems:Pressure and Vacuum Gauges,....

I'm now trying to understand how an UPDATE on the Category will be handled correctly -- because every time we attempt the data import utility category UPDATE, it ends up appending the categories and we get a lot cross-categorization. We may just need to change the CSV here -- perhaps we're not structured correctly or we ONLY need to include those categories by name that we want to use? If that was the case, then in my example above, if I only wanted Item2 in the "Gauges" category, could I just have:
Item2..,Gauges,...
instead of
Item2..,Products:Hospital Piping Systems:Gauges,...

Anyone else have an answer for this? Crucial for products that may need to be RE-CATEGORIZED (not cross-categorized) from one area to another.

Thanks!