Error when downloading all Products to CSV

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
ozlighting
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Error when downloading all Products to CSV

Post by ozlighting » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi,

we have about 1500 products and we have not been able to download all of our products to CSV for some time now. I thought that perhaps upgrading to the new Universal DataPort would fix the issue but it hasn't. I've tried this on three separate PC's and we get the same result every time; the download goes until around 1000 products and then it errors out:

We have been working around this by downloading the products by Category but it is getting a bit tedious.

We've tried replacing the server files (the one in Bin folder and the one in ClientApi folder) and also removing and reinstalling the dataport software. Given that we're getting the same issue on three different PC's I'm a little concerned that it's a database problem or an issue with some files on the server. We have one custom field on the edit product screen - not sure if that could be the cause of our issue.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Lance
Australian Online Lighting Store

log on and light up...

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Re: Error when downloading all Products to CSV

Post by Naveed » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:05 am

It seems that there might be some issue with the products data. One or more of your products data may have some special characters which are not valid in XML. To debug please use the following steps:

1. Set the CHUNK SIZE to "1" from DataPort option settings. This way all products will be exported one by one.
2. Download all the products.
3. When the error will occur, check the exported data and see what product was going to export next. Fix the product data like Name, summary or description by removing special characters like BOX signs etc.

Hope this will fix the issue.

ozlighting
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by ozlighting » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi Naveed,

Thanks so much for replying, you've been very helpful. Also, I think you are correct. I did as you suggested and found that the download is stopping on a particular product. I tried downloading that product on it's own and again the download stopped with an error, so there is almost certainly something wrong with this product, however I can't see what the problem might be. Please could you have a look at the attached CSV which is created by querying the database table ac_Products directly and downloading the result to CSV:
product_error.zip
Thanks so much for your help.

Kind regards,

Lance
Australian Online Lighting Store

log on and light up...

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:51 am

I reviewed the data and found some unknown invalid characters (box signs) in product description or summary data. After removing those the file is re-attached.

Please check.

mfreeze
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by mfreeze » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:22 pm

I am having this problem also. It occurs whether I download the entire store or products only to XML or to CSV.

I set the chunk size to 1 as you suggested and fixed the product. Then when I ran the export again I got the same problem but am having a problem determining the product I am failing on. When I look at the XML file, I see that the product I fixed was exported but now the XML gets to productid 1187 (in ascending order from productid 2) then exports a number of random productids stating with 373 then 915 then 1127 then 5, and so on. So from this randomness, I can't determine what the next product tat would have been downloaded is.

Any suggestions as to why the export changes from ascending productids to random ones and how I can find the offending product? I am able to export 801 of 870 products and need to find the problem so the rest will export.
Mary E Freeze

Freeze Frame Graphics
Web Hosting and Design, ASP and CFMX Development

http://www.ffgraphics.com