Product Variant import issue

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
SkylineTech
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Product Variant import issue

Post by SkylineTech » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:05 am

I am using DataPort version 7.4.188.0. I am uploading Product Variants via CSV data. The DataPort utility is truncating the Name column of my Option Choices at 50 characters even though the ac_OptionChoices Table defines the Name column as nvarchar(255). In doing this, during the import I get several "Variant not found, invalid variant name specified" errors and therefore my product variants are not imported correctly.

Simple question to AbleCommerce support - why is the DataPort Utility truncating the Name of the OptionChoices at 50 characters? How do I get past this?

Thank you.

SkylineTech

Re: Product Variant import issue

Post by SkylineTech » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:53 am

Anyone?

plugables
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by plugables » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:47 am

I hope you are using the latest version of DataPort.
If I am not wrong I think the 50 character limit on name column in ac_OptionChoices was in the older versions of AbleCommerce. Thats why dataport was enforcing that length ... but it changed later ... may be dataport has not been updated ...

SkylineTech

Post by SkylineTech » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:32 am

plugables wrote:I hope you are using the latest version of DataPort.
If I am not wrong I think the 50 character limit on name column in ac_OptionChoices was in the older versions of AbleCommerce. Thats why dataport was enforcing that length ... but it changed later ... may be dataport has not been updated ...
We are using the latest version of DataPort (7.4.188.0) and the latest version of Able (7.0.4) so my guess is that the DataPort Utility was not updated after the Name column of the ac_OptionChoices Table increased from 50 to 255.

My frustration is that no one at Able can/will confirm or deny this. If this is the support we can expect, then off to find a new solution.

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:01 am

I tested the issue using latest version of DataPort, and I was able to successfully import/upload an option choice name having length up to "239" characters. So, I believe there is some other issue with your CSV data.
during the import I get several "Variant not found, invalid variant name specified" errors and therefore my product variants are not imported correctly.
The "Variant not found, invalid variant name specified" errors during import indicates that this is not the truncation issue. Can you please share a sample of your CSV data, that can be used to reproduce the issue?

SkylineTech

Post by SkylineTech » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 am

Naveed wrote:I tested the issue using latest version of DataPort, and I was able to successfully import/upload an option choice name having length up to "239" characters. So, I believe there is some other issue with your CSV data.
during the import I get several "Variant not found, invalid variant name specified" errors and therefore my product variants are not imported correctly.
The "Variant not found, invalid variant name specified" errors during import indicates that this is not the truncation issue. Can you please share a sample of your CSV data, that can be used to reproduce the issue?
Yes, i can supply information to support my claim. I will post after I reset the data. I am currently skipping Variants with names over 50 characters and it is importing fine. What version of DataPort are you testing with? I have 7.4.188.0.

I disagree that "Variant not found, invalid variant name specified" does not indicate a truncation issue. I claim that it could, here's why. If my incoming Option Choice name is ABCDEFG, and the DataPort is truncating it to ABCDE, the next time DataPort tries to find ABCDEFG, it is not going to find it because it was truncated and saved in the database as ABCDE.

I will post my data shortly.

SkylineTech

Post by SkylineTech » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:48 am

Is there a way for me to post up a Word document with my dictation of the problem with screen prints and my sample CSV import file? Is there an email address i can send this stuff too?

SkylineTech

Post by SkylineTech » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:13 am

FYI -

I also found that the DataPort will react the same way when a colon exists in the Variant Name. In other words, DataPort will truncate Option Choice names with colons in them at the point of the colon. In doing this, the error "Variant not found, invalid variant name specified" will be raised.

Therefore, DataPort cannot handle names longer than 50 characters nor can it handle names with colons in them. Just FYI for anyone else attempting to load numerous products and variants using DataPort version 7.4.188.0.

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:35 am

I also found that the DataPort will react the same way when a colon exists in the Variant Name. In other words, DataPort will truncate Option Choice names with colons in them at the point of the colon. In doing this, the error "Variant not found, invalid variant name specified" will be raised.
Yes, there might be issues with variants having colon in their names. It is because DataPort uses Colon as delimiter. This is a bug and should be fixed (I have logged this to be fixed in future versions.).
Is there a way for me to post up a Word document with my dictation of the problem with screen prints and my sample CSV import file? Is there an email address i can send this stuff too?
Please attach the word file while posting your comments. Use the "Post Reply" button, instead using quick reply and you will be able to attach files.

SkylineTech

Post by SkylineTech » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:29 am

Please attach the word file while posting your comments. Use the "Post Reply" button, instead using quick reply and you will be able to attach files.
Attached are my documents. Thank you.