How do I complete a backup?

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
KiwiSteve
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

How do I complete a backup?

Post by KiwiSteve » Sun May 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Sorry to be asking the dumb questions, but I have been advised to look at DataPort to extract customer files, etc. It says "WARNING: BACKUP YOUR DATABASE BEFORE USING THIS TOOL!"

So, how do I do that please? After 683 questions and replies later, and another hour of searching the laryrinth, it seems users either know and don't ask, or don't ask, or I need to ask better questions LOL

I appreciate anyhelp

Thanks
Stephen

mikek
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: How do I complete a backup?

Post by mikek » Sun May 29, 2011 11:44 pm

Backup your database means backing up your site mssql database instance that was initially created during AbleCommerce install.
In case anything goes wrong with DataPort site database can be restored from the backup copy.

If you do not have access to the database server or site is being hosted in a shared hosting environment you can contact your hosting
provider and request a backup copy of the database. Your hosting provider should be able to restore the mssql database associated with
your site.
Mike Kolev

KiwiSteve
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Re: How do I complete a backup?

Post by KiwiSteve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

I gather, then, that there's not a 'button' in AC that I click to simply generate a files of all my site's catalogue, images, customers, preferences, etc, that I can download to my PC? (That's what I would call a backup.)

Wouldn't it be easier if I could do that, then... edit it or add to it at my leisure, then upload it when I'm done?

If my audiobook suppliers send me a new releases feed each week or more often, then how do I enter these titles into/onto my site?

The site management panel seems rather unfriendly, or is it just a matter of time?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I'm new at this, and wanting to make some progress.

Thanks
Stephen