Product to Category Import

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
skaboot
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Product to Category Import

Post by skaboot » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 am

Can the Dataport import one single product into multiple categories?

Example: One car battery can fit into 100's of different makes/models/years/engine sizes. How can I add this one product to 100's (maybe even 1000's) of categories/sub-categories THE EASY WAY? Any help/advice is appreciated.

s_ismail
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: Product to Category Import HELP!

Post by s_ismail » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:47 am

I think you can accomplish this task without using dataport by going on
Admin-->Catalog-->Browse-->Current Product(Product to be associated with multiple categories) and select 'Categories' option from Product Menu, there you can associates current product with multiple categories/sub-categories as well.

skaboot
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Re: Product to Category Import HELP!

Post by skaboot » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:08 am

That's what I was afraid of...it seems that it would take forever. Consider every auto manufacturer has a Model (ex. Cavalier) there are also sub-models (LS, LT, etc.) as well as different engine sizes (2.0 L4 Cyl, 2.0 L4 Cyl DOHC, 2.2 L4 OHV, 2.8L V6, and so on).

The category would look like this
Automotive -> Cheverolet -> Cavalier -> 2000 -> L4 - 2.0L -> PRODUCT
Automotive -> Cheverolet -> Cavalier -> 2000 -> L4 - 2.2L -> PRODUCT

Automotive -> Cheverolet -> Cavalier -> 2001 -> L4 - 2.0L -> PRODUCT
Automotive -> Cheverolet -> Cavalier -> 2001 -> L4 - 2.2L -> PRODUCT

All the way to the current model year (2011). The different engine size or year can have different part(s). It would be extremely tedious to have to assign the product to all of these categories/sub-categories. If you think of all of the Automobile/Light Truck manufacturers out there and consider all of the models, sub-models, years and engine sizes this would take an extremely long time to accomplish.

I do appreciate your response!

The attached is an import of how I did it with our old store.

mkeith1
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: Product to Category Import

Post by mkeith1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:38 am

if you are using dataport to import your products, in the categories field, just separate each category you want items placed in in with a comma between the categories.
for example:

Automotive -> Cheverolet -> Cavalier -> 2001 -> L4 - 2.0L -> PRODUCT

should be changed to:

Automotive:Cheverolet:Cavalier:2000:L4:2.2L:PRODUCT

Note: Cheverolet is the Main Category, Cavalier, 2000, L4, 2.2L are all subcategories of each other.

after replacing with colons between the categories, you would add a comma to place an item into multiple categories.

Automotive:Cheverolet:Cavalier:2000:L4:2.2L:PRODUCT,Automotive:Cheverolet:Cavalier:2001:L4:2.0L:PRODUCT

in the above example the product will appear in each of these subcategories: 2.2L and 2.0L

You can add a product to as many categories as you want during an import, provided that each category is separated with a comma.