AC5x to AC7.0.7 problem importing customers and orders

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
eileen
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

AC5x to AC7.0.7 problem importing customers and orders

Post by eileen » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:20 am

DataPort VERSION: 7.7.251
Able5x store VERSION 5.5 SR3 1346
Able7x store VERSION: 7.0.7.14588

When we imported our complete Able5x store data into a development Able7 store, the upload went smoothly. The Able7 store is now ready to launch and we want to import just the current order and customer data from the live Able5x store. In DataPort I ticked the boxes to import just the customers and orders data. I selected the option to delete existing objects and original ID's so as to clear our test data. All the customers and orders uploaded, but the order data is incomplete.

1) Order status on all orders = "AC5x import" rather than the actual order status (e.g., = "Completed", "Cancelled", etc.).
2) Transaction Histories are blank. Transaction ID's for PayPal and the Payment Gateway (Auth.net) are absent.
3) Tracking numbers are present but are not clickable.
4) The Also Bought control is not populated. After the original full-store import the control was populated properly with products.

What did I do wrong?
- Should I have ticked the box to "Persist the ID translation between the AC5 and AC7 data ..."?
- Should I have imported OrderStatuses, ShipMethods, and/or ObjectLinks?

Need help.

eileen

Re: AC5x to AC7.0.7 problem importing customers and orders

Post by eileen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:11 am

I am still having problems with the AC5.5 to AC7.0.7 migration. I have gotten some answers and some issues have been resolved, but unfortunately I am still having problems.

UNRESOLVED
1) Imported Orders are are not attached to customer profiles. The customers are all there, but there are no orders attached. From the Orders admin, if I click on Customer Profile I get an error page that reads: "We are sorry, but the page you are trying to access has experienced an error. Please contact info@backdesigns.com to report this problem." The Error Log reads: An error has occured at http://devel.backdesigns.com/Admin/Peop ... x?UserId=0 Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.; Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
2) The DataPort delete-and-replace does not work with previously imported Users. The import log says, "Warning: Could not import user ....@.... (OldId 26343646) because this username already exists in the target store.
3) The Plugables Also Bought control breaks. After the original full-store import the control populated properly with products.

RESOLVED
3) Imported AC5 Orders do not properly sort by date in AC7 admin. SOLUTION. Use DataPort import data chunk size = "1".
4) Imported Order Status defaults to = "AC5x import" rather than the actual order status (e.g., = "Completed", "Cancelled", etc.). SOLUTION. When Orders are imported, must also import OrderStatus. After import the retired AC5 order status can be easily deleted and reassigned to the appropriate AC7 Order Status in AC7 admin.
5) Imported transaction Histories are blank. Transaction ID's for PayPal and the Payment Gateway (Auth.net) are absent. NOT POSSIBLE. DataPort does not export this data from AC5.
6) Imported tracking numbers are not clickable. NOT POSSIBLE. AC7 cannot associate AC5 tracking numbers with an AC7 shipping gateway.
7) Should I have ticked the box to "Persist the ID translation between the AC5 and AC7 data ..."? NO according to AC Support. This should make no difference if we use the delete-and-replace DataPort option.

QUESTIONS
Should I delete existing AC7 Orders/Users data prior to the AC5 import?
Should I import Orders and Users separately? If so, which one first?
Has DataPort been updated/tested for compatibility with AC 7.0.7 SR1a?

I would appreciate any help or advice.

eileen

Post by eileen » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:05 pm

With the help of Plugables, we have solved the AC5.5 to AC7.0.7 SR1a data migration. Here's what we learned:

1. SELECT THE DATAPORT OPTION TO SAVE AN ID MAP WHEN YOU IMPORT AC5 DATA WITH THE INITIAL INSTALLATION OF THE DEVELOPMENT AC7 SITE. USE THIS ID MAP FOR EACH SUBSEQUENT DATA MIGRATION. *** Very Important!*** This is a multi-stage import. The first stage is the original import of AC5 data to the AC7 development site. The second stage is the import to refresh orders and users from the live AC5 site prior to launch of the AC7 site. When doing a multi-stage import, one has to keep the id-mappings of the previous import stages and use it for the subsequent import with live data, or the imported orders will not properly associate with products and users.

2. SELECT CHUNK SIZE = "1". Orders will not sort properly without it. The downside is that this will significantly slow down the data migration time. Plugables informs me it is also possible to correct this after the data migration.

3. SELECT USERS, ORDERS, ORDERSTATUS, AND WAREHOUSES FOR IMPORT FROM AC5. If you do not import the OrderStatuses, they will import with a status ="AC5x Import". You can easily convert the obsolete AC5 status to current AC7 status in Merchant Dashboard > Configure > Order Statuses. Warehouses will duplicate, but if you do not import them you will get errors. Warehouses are easily merged with current AC7 warehouses in Merchant Dashboard > Shipping > Warehouses

4. NO PROBLEM WITH SHARED OPTIONS/KITS FROM PLUGABLES. This problem was unrelated to the data migration. I had inadvertently changed the default category for the shared options and kits. This program requires that shared options/kits be assigned to a root-level category. When the category assignment was corrected, the shared options/kits worked.

5. TRANSACTION HISTORIES DO NOT MIGRATE. DataPort does not export this data from AC5.

6. IMPORTED TRACKING NUMBERS ARE NOT CLICKABLE. DataPort cannot associate AC5 tracking numbers with AC7 shipping gateways. Not worth fixing.

calvis
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by calvis » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 am

Hi Eileen,

Thanks for posting a journal of adventures. :)

I am currently going through the same thing and it looks like you are blazing the trail for me. Selecting chunk size '1' will significantly slow down my import. Did Plugables mention what kind of solution would be able to fix the sort problem? Perhaps a update query? If one did not want to adjust chunk size because of time constraints.

On your comment, "The DataPort delete-and-replace does not work with previously imported Users." I noticed this as well, but for me I viewed this a 'blessing' because it sped up my refresh import of new users greatly In fact I was hoping that orders would do the same, but of course, it did not. Did you discover any issues with the when dataport did not delete the users?

On your comment, "SELECT THE DATAPORT OPTION TO SAVE AN ID MAP WHEN YOU IMPORT AC5 DATA WITH THE INITIAL INSTALLATION OF THE DEVELOPMENT AC7 SITE. USE THIS ID MAP FOR EACH SUBSEQUENT DATA MIGRATION." Where are you creating the MAP FILE? I am using dataport 7.6 but I am not finding that setting in the Dataport options. What does the map file do exactly? Did the map file enable you to delete previous users?

Lastly, what's the best way to fix the bad order and user data (Just like what you had) that I currently have in my dev computer? All my design, products, categories, and webpages are final. Is there a way to zero out just the user and order databases to begin anew without messing up my current work?

Thanks for your response.
Able Customer Since 1999 Currently Running on GOLD R12 SR1 and PCI Certified.

eileen

Post by eileen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:46 pm

calvis wrote:Selecting chunk size '1' will significantly slow down my import. Did Plugables mention what kind of solution would be able to fix the sort problem? Perhaps a update query? If one did not want to adjust chunk size because of time constraints.
He didn't say. BTW, chunk size '1' runs in a few hours on my machine, but when Plugables attempts the same thing it takes many times longer.
calvis wrote:Did you discover any issues with the when dataport did not delete the users?
Yes. Maybe. In my attempts, if the users were not deleted they didn't associate with order histories and orders didn't associate with customer profiles.
calvis wrote:On your comment, "SELECT THE DATAPORT OPTION TO SAVE AN ID MAP WHEN YOU IMPORT AC5 DATA WITH THE INITIAL INSTALLATION OF THE DEVELOPMENT AC7 SITE. USE THIS ID MAP FOR EACH SUBSEQUENT DATA MIGRATION." Where are you creating the MAP FILE? I am using dataport 7.6 but I am not finding that setting in the Dataport options. What does the map file do exactly? Did the map file enable you to delete previous users?
I am using DataPort 7.7. I have no experience with DataPort 7.6. At the bottom of the import screen there are two radio buttons. The first says, "Persist the ID translation between your AC5 and AC7 data for imports handled in multiple stages." The second radio button says, "Use the existing mapping for this import." The "Persist" button creates the map at the time of the initial import into the development store. You need to recall that same map when you refresh Orders and Users before you turn on the lights in your AC7 store, or your products won't properly associate with your order histories. I don't know what you would have to do if you neglected to create the map when you set up the development AC7 site. Maybe you would have to come at it differently, e.g., export the AC7 store > import the complete AC5 store again and create an ID map > then import the AC7 design, product, category, and webpage data, selecting the delete-and-replace-with-original-ID option.
calvis wrote:Lastly, what's the best way to fix the bad order and user data (Just like what you had) that I currently have in my dev computer? All my design, products, categories, and webpages are final. Is there a way to zero out just the user and order databases to begin anew without messing up my current work?
Plugables provided me with SQL scripts to delete the specific User and Order data.

I am a newbie at this stuff. At this point, you know what I know.

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 am

We have run many upgrades from Able 5 and usually do them in two steps, the second one being that we are picking up the newer orders and users right before the site goes live. We have not run into any problems, but we do get all the users on the second run because they might have changed their address or password on the old site. On the sorting of orders, I click the header for the order number on the manage order screen and they seem to be OK from then on. They do seem out of order if I'm looking at the screen as the import is running.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

calvis
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by calvis » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Eileen,

How did you resolve this issue?
1) Imported Orders are are not attached to customer profiles. The customers are all there, but there are no orders attached. From the Orders admin, if I click on Customer Profile I get an error page that reads: "We are sorry, but the page you are trying to access has experienced an error. Please contact info@backdesigns.com to report this problem." The Error Log reads: An error has occured at http://devel.backdesigns.com/Admin/Peop ... x?UserId=0 Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.; Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
I just did a recent import and I still have this issue.

I get the error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
Admin_People_Users_AddressBook.Page_Init(Object sender, EventArgs e) +155
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +41
System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e) +131
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +142
System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +390
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1476

Any clues on what my issue is? Anyone?
Able Customer Since 1999 Currently Running on GOLD R12 SR1 and PCI Certified.

eileen

Post by eileen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 am

I gave up and turned the project over to Plugables, so they could better answer your question. Our AC7 store is live now. As I understand it, this issue was resolved with use of the ID map created during the original import during store setup, and by deleting sample order and user data prior to the subsequent live import.

dustin

Post by dustin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:30 am

Eileen has come up with a great question. I think the answer is going to help so many of us. This is a common issue with most people and we all are running for some help and answers. From this question answer session, we will be able clear so many things and all our doubts related to development Able7 store can be cleared also. I think we will get a perfect answer for all these questions soon.