Overwrite data in product import

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
sdlong02
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Overwrite data in product import

Post by sdlong02 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Sorry I'm a bit new to AC so excuse me if this problem has been addressed, I was unable to find a similar question while searching through the forums.

Basically I have an existing product already in the system, it's in "category 1", this is a temporary category I use before I map the product out to it's final category. Now using a .csv download, I edit the category line to reflect it's final detailed resting place "category 2", I remove "category 1" from the category column.

When uploaded, the new data is added to the existed product, so that the product is now in "category 1 + 2".

Because I have a ton of products that need the changes done with them, I was hoping this could be done en masse through the import file, if not, what are my other choices besides deleting and reuploading all the products with the new data inputted.

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Re: Overwrite data in product import

Post by jmestep » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:45 pm

The best thing to do is upload the products with the right category/categories to start with. As you've found out, the dataport doesn't update that information.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Re: Overwrite data in product import

Post by Naveed » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:47 am

In your case, after changing the category and re-importing the csv data associates the same product to multiple categories. However it did not duplicates the product. You can however make that temporary category "hidden" or even "delete" it when that is no longer needed. This will disassociate the product <-> category relation. And all your products will now be in new categories only.