Messy 5.5 CFMX migration issues to overcome. Please advise.

A forum where issues related to the DataPort utility can be discussed.
robreil
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Messy 5.5 CFMX migration issues to overcome. Please advise.

Post by robreil » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:54 am

I am on 5.5 CFMX Build 1361 and am migrating from MySQL4.1 to MSSQL and trying to wrap my head around the migration procedure.

Some Data Issues:
1) The Products table has a few fields added to it that are populated with important info that are not default fields.
2) The Webpages tables Content field has HREF links in the content to Products, Categories, and Webpages like

Code: Select all

<a href="_P11973.cfm">16118-166-0040</a>
<a href="_W321.cfm">How to Adjust the Idle</a>
<a href="_C8.cfm">VM22/210 Pilot Jet</a>
However rumor has it that for SEO (and possibly technical) reasons a simple find and replace .cfm to .aspx may not work.
3) There are extra tables in the database that also need to be migrated.
4) Once the new server is up as a development server I want to bring it up with the latest data, then modify the data as shown above. Then once all the data is tweaked, and the CSS is right, email templates checked, then shut down the live site, Dataport data all except the Webpages Table (or backup edited webpages table and then restore it over the data ported data) then change the license from Dev to www, change IP's and bring it back up.

I have a fresh dual 933/2GB Raid 5 2003 Server ready to host the Able7 cart.
I can use either the SQL Express 2005 or I have a new licensed version of SQL Standard Edition 2005 to use as well.
I have the subscription and have the license for 7.0.0 as well so I am ready to go in this area as well.

I know my server as described above is a bit under the mininmum requirements but Katie said she runs it on a Vista desktop.
I wish to move this cart off site eventually but want to migrate it to an internal live 7.x cart before I do that. If I have to buy a 200$ used server on ebay then so be it. But it may not be cost effective enough in hardware vs extra months of having it hosted. Escpecially when it wont be used once I move the site off site. I also have other 1.0GB servers as well with 1-2GB Ram that I can use to do a dual server solution (one SQL, one ASPX). But I would rather not buy new hardware unless I have to.

Thats most of what Im looking at but I may be overlooking something. Please shed some light on the details of what you would do to maximize efficiency and data integrity for a smooth migration.

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Re: Messy 5.5 CFMX migration issues to overcome. Please advise.

Post by Naveed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:11 am

The standard store export feature in AC55 CFMX stores does not offer the facility to export data for extra fields and extra tables. Also using DataPort you can only import data in standard AC55 fields and standard tables.

To migrate your data in extra fields and extra tables you have to write some custom routine.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:36 am

Read following topic for custom CSV import routine
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=9828

robreil
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by robreil » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Naveed wrote:The standard store export feature in AC55 CFMX stores does not offer the facility to export data for extra fields and extra tables. Also using DataPort you can only import data in standard AC55 fields and standard tables.

To migrate your data in extra fields and extra tables you have to write some custom routine.
That potentially covers item #1, but how about item #2?
2) The Webpages tables Content field has HREF links in the content to Products, Categories, and Webpages like

Code: Select all

<a href="_P11973.cfm">16118-166-0040</a>
<a href="_W321.cfm">How to Adjust the Idle</a>
<a href="_C8.cfm">VM22/210 Pilot Jet</a>
However rumor has it that a simple find and replace .cfm to .aspx may not work.
From what I am thinking I can just go to each webpage and do a find an replace ".cfm" to ".aspx" Any imput?

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:29 pm

robreil wrote:From what I am thinking I can just go to each webpage and do a find an replace ".cfm" to ".aspx" Any imput?
I'm not sure why a find/replace would not work. The URL semantics look similar if not the same. Someone who is familiar with both 5.5 and 7.0 URLs will need to chime in.

Assuming they will work and if your server will only run ASP.NET (i.e. AC7) and not Cold Fusion, then you could simply map the .CFM file extension to ASP.NET. Then you would not need to find and replace all of the internal links.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing

robreil
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by robreil » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:40 pm

afm wrote:
robreil wrote:From what I am thinking I can just go to each webpage and do a find an replace ".cfm" to ".aspx" Any imput?
I'm not sure why a find/replace would not work. The URL semantics look similar if not the same. Someone who is familiar with both 5.5 and 7.0 URLs will need to chime in.

Assuming they will work and if your server will only run ASP.NET (i.e. AC7) and not Cold Fusion, then you could simply map the .CFM file extension to ASP.NET. Then you would not need to find and replace all of the internal links.
If I really knew TSQL I could have a script made that says look in the Contents Field or the Webpages table and replace .cfm, with .aspx. But I dont have those skills. I do however have the ability to look into the DB field contents on a page by page basis, copy/paste into dreamweaver and do the find/replace tool.

The script though sounds like an easy one. And maybe a DBA skilled forumer would bless me with a quick script.

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:07 am

Regarding your 2nd query:

The url re-writing pattern is similar in AC55 and AC7. I hope a simple replace of ".cfm" with ".aspx" will work.

robreil
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by robreil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:31 am

Naveed wrote:Regarding your 2nd query:

The url re-writing pattern is similar in AC55 and AC7. I hope a simple replace of ".cfm" with ".aspx" will work.
I just went to one of ables store showcases (DBATinc.com) and tried it. Seems Ill have to change the _P, _C, _W links to -C, -P, -W. AND change .cfm to .aspx.

And it seems it will not recognize an "_" but it surely does like the "-" .