Facebook feedback on one page checkout

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Facebook feedback on one page checkout

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:40 am

Hello All,

One page checkout was an active topic on facebook and more active behind the scenes at AbleCommerce. Unless you have a REALLY simple store one page checkout doesn't improve the checkout flow.

With the exception of a bit of bold text you'll find the unedited facebook comments on one page checkout below:

:?: We currently maintain and test two different checkout processes, the one page checkout and the multiple page checkout. Given what we see in the market place now days, it might be better to just have one smooth checkout process rather than two. This is a critical area of course and we'd like to get your feedback!
11Like · · Share

George Jaros We have clients that like both checkout methods. We find it easier to integrate customizations and adjustments to the checkout flow with the multi page checkout. The biggest complaint we have from clients though is that the one page checkout isn't really a one page checkout. Technically it is, but to a customer they still have to enter billing and shipping information, click continue, then enter payment information on a second screen. A true one page checkout, like what sites such as Cafe Press have, would be a huge plus in our clients' eyes.
February 21 at 8:02pm · Like

AbleCommerce Cafe Press has a 'fixed' business logic for shipping charges and other items, which we cannot assume in our checkout logic which requires dynamic updates of information based on shipping location for example.
February 21 at 8:08pm · Like

Neal Culiner Pick one and do it right. There is no perfect answer and I don't think consumers care. One page may be information overload. Breaking it into logical steps will prevent order errors.
February 21 at 8:09pm · Unlike · 1

Charles Alvis Personally I think one page checkout is 'over-hyped'. I've never had a customer tell me they did not order because I didn't have one page checkout. One page checkout is good for impulse buys, but if you want to maintain a relationship with the customer (Not to mention it's easier to modify) I think multi is the way to go.
February 21 at 8:34pm · Unlike · 1

Joe Payne I think history has proven the concept of an all-inclusive checkout page is simply not practical. Stability is paramount to all other needs in the checkout portion of a website. No amount of features will make an unstable checkout appealing to any business or shopper.
February 21 at 10:39pm · Unlike · 1

Mike Stephenson would like to see other options such as amazon checkout
February 21 at 10:52pm · Unlike · 1

Chris Frank I like multiple steps, I would prefer only one checkout option. However in the end, I want it to be successful, I suggest doing what the "big boys" are doing.
February 22 at 1:04pm · Unlike · 1

Sammi May I would like to see some type of enhancement, that if an item is not in stock, and we are taking a back-order. That this info is present to the customers consistently through the checkout process and the order confirmation. It seems somehow, they always miss the disclaimer on the product page.
February 23 at 5:27pm · Unlike · 2

Jim Sewell We use one-page checkout. with great success, because, as Plugables says in the forums:

"Multi-page checkout does not support anonymous checkout as far as I know. Only One-Page-Checkout supports it. So I assume you will need to customize the multi-page checkout files to achieve what you want."

All of our purchases are anonymous so if you do away with one-page it would be really great if multi-page deals with anonymous checkout properly.
May 7 at 4:26pm · Like

AbleCommerce Jim, thank you for the feedback! We'll be sure to take that into consideration.
May 7 at 5:13pm · Like

David O'Leary On a related note, I've been working on customizations to both styles today and more attention should be focused on better encapsulating pieces within User Controls. This would make it much easier to provide several options for checkout. For example, currently, there's no common Address control and the related code is repeated in several places which make it difficult to modify. Same holds true for Login/Registration. If the code for checkout were better encapsulated, it'd be much cleaner to make improvements and to offer a few different options for checkout work flow.
June 12 at 8:42pm · Like
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Facebook feedback on one page checkout

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:12 am

Hello All,

We dropped OPC based on customer feedback.

We sincerely ask for feedback* in our FYI emails, the RSS news feed you see every day when you log in to your store and at the top of our forums. If you choose not to participate in these discussions please don't complain about outcome, instead..

..visit the AbleCommerce roadmap page, join us on facebook and help shape the future of our product.

http://www.ablecommerce.com/Roadmap-W149.aspx

* It's why we're still in business after 18 years!
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:01 am

Just a note to duplicate what I posted on another topic- the checkout in Able Gold does allow anonymous checkout at the merchant's discretion.
9-3-2012 8-11-12 AM.png
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 am

I wanted to make a note about one page checkout. The concept is great - make the purchase process as simple and concise as possible. The difficulty within the context of AbleCommerce out of the box is the number of variables that go into a checkout process. We have too many features. Up through 707 we had a "one page" script that really wasn't - it was multiple pages squished together and toggled with ajax. It was difficult to make adjustments to this page because of the complexity.

For a specific merchant achieving one page checkout is easier. When you are at this level there are assumptions you can make about which features are actively used and what variables are not actually variable.

This is part of the reason we posed the question in the first place. Based on the feedback it seemed as though we were on a good track in making a clean and stable checkout that spanned multiple pages.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am

It's a start, it can be a lot better. I'd like to see you further improve the checkout and model after Amazon's extremely efficient checkout flow that you are completely capable of achieving. It is a bit cumbersome for the user as it stands now and we could lose business with a delayed and confusing/unnecessary checkout process. The timer is ticking and the fastest way to payment yields the highest success.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 am

Here is an interesting article about Ecommerce checkout experience. BTW this article is not specific to ablecommerce, just a general Ecommerce article :)
http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/20 ... sign-2012/

frankenstein897
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by frankenstein897 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Excellent article. I would agree with most of this and would advise that Ablecommerce continue to work towards those key points.
Thanks,
Chris

http://www.networkcablesonline.com
Network Cables Online, LLC
Running AbleCommerce GOLD R6