[Resolved] Greetings! ...and a Lucene indexing issue

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
Calbeth
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

[Resolved] Greetings! ...and a Lucene indexing issue

Post by Calbeth » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:52 am

Hello AbleCommerce Community,

Well, I've been lurking these forums for some weeks and, as it tends to, my lurking time has drawn to a close with the occurrence of a real issue. I'm hoping someone with Apache/server-side expertise might be of assistance.

I'm in beginning stages of development for a client project. I've installed AbleCommerce Gold (build 4194) to a remote server we're using for development. The issue arises when, from the Admin Console, I browse to Categories > Products. I'm promptly redirected to a Windows Server error page complaining about a missing index file called '_1y.frq'. I've been all over the web for the past three hours over this. I'm a front end developer, so suffice it to say I'm having trouble making heads or tales of the backend Greek. But near as I can discern it's some issue related to the Apache/Lucene indexing process, and it's not isolated to the 'FRQ' file type. Further, dolty designer me has no idea what Lucene's role is in the AC platform.

Two links that might or might not help contextualize the issue:
1. What is an FRQ file? http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versi ... requencies
2. Publicly available email correspondence about the Apache/Lucene indexing moodiness: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbo ... ail.com%3E

Also note:
1. The server is shared and remotely hosted, so I don't immediately have commandline access which limits my diagnostics toolset.
2. I also have UmbracoCMS installed which as I understand it uses Lucene (could the two platforms be, in some way, dueling?)
3. The platform otherwise appears fully operational--I can even still create new products via Catalog > Categories.

System specs:
1. Windows 2008 Server
2. Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319
3. ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272
4. AC Gold build 4194
5. Database employs MS SQL Server

And without further adieu, the bugger itself:

Code: Select all

Could not find file '\\phx3.gdhosting.gdg\p3nwhg522\hosting\84\9876384\html\...\App_Data\Indexes\Product\_1y.frq'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '\\phx3.gdhosting.gdg\p3nwhg522\hosting\84\9876384\html\...\App_Data\Indexes\Product\_1y.frq'.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '\\phx3.gdhosting.gdg\p3nwhg522\hosting\84\9876384\html\...\App_Data\Indexes\Product\_1y.frq'.]
   Lucene.Net.Index.FindSegmentsFile.Run(IndexCommit commit) +2040
   Lucene.Net.Index.DirectoryReader.Open(Directory directory, IndexDeletionPolicy deletionPolicy, IndexCommit commit, Boolean readOnly, Int32 termInfosIndexDivisor) +57
   NHibernate.Search.Reader.SharedReaderProvider.ReplaceActiveReader(IndexReader outOfDateReader, Object directoryProviderLock, IDirectoryProvider directoryProvider, IndexReader[] readers) +89

[SearchException: Unable to open Lucene IndexReader]
   NHibernate.Search.Reader.SharedReaderProvider.ReplaceActiveReader(IndexReader outOfDateReader, Object directoryProviderLock, IDirectoryProvider directoryProvider, IndexReader[] readers) +141
   NHibernate.Search.Reader.SharedReaderProvider.OpenReader(IDirectoryProvider[] directoryProviders) +375
   NHibernate.Search.Query.FullTextSearchHelper.BuildSearcher(ISearchFactoryImplementor searchFactory, ISet`1& classesAndSubclasses, Type[] classes) +667
   NHibernate.Search.Query.FullTextQueryImpl.List(IList list) +242
   NHibernate.Search.Query.FullTextQueryImpl.List() +248
   CommerceBuilder.Products.ProductRepository.FindProducts(String name, Boolean searchDescription, String sku, Int32 categoryId, Int32 manufacturerId, Int32 vendorId, BitFieldState featured, Int32 taxCodeId, Decimal lowPrice, Decimal highPrice, Boolean digitalGoodsOnly, Boolean giftCertificatesOnly, Boolean kitsOnly, Boolean subscriptionsOnly, String sortExpression, Int32 maximumRows, Int32 startRowIndex) +138
   CommerceBuilder.Products.ProductDataSource.FindProducts(String name, Boolean searchDescription, String sku, Int32 categoryId, Int32 manufacturerId, Int32 vendorId, BitFieldState featured, Int32 taxCodeId, Decimal lowPrice, Decimal highPrice, Boolean digitalGoodsOnly, Boolean giftCertificatesOnly, Boolean kitsOnly, Boolean subscriptionsOnly, Int32 maximumRows, Int32 startRowIndex, String sortExpression) +135

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +0
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +72
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +251
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +28
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.InvokeMethod(ObjectDataSourceMethod method, Boolean disposeInstance, Object& instance) +638
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1953
   System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +21
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +143
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +74
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind() +4
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +66
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +75
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496
Last edited by Calbeth on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Re: Greetings! ...and a Lucene indexing issue

Post by jmestep » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm

You could try re-indexing in the admin. Also, look in the App_Data/Indexes folder and see if there is anything there. Maybe there is something with the server set up that won't allow writing to that folder, but I kind of doubt that because you have to write to that folder when you install the site.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

Calbeth
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by Calbeth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks, Judy. I've tried reindexing and oddly, the purple progress bar freezes and the timer reads a constant "0 minutes 1 second." I did check permissions on all the folders and indeed all children in App_Data are set to Read/Write. Been on the phone with the hosting provider and they're insisting it's a platform issue.

The errors began to manifest at 2:23 Wednesday, 10/3. It was right around this time--might've even been this time on the nose--that a Super User removed all the test products (created by another Super User), effectively taking the products DB "down to zero." Doesn't seem like a coincidence. Seems more than likely to be something with the Lucene indexing engine, but I have no clue what.

So I've opened a support case with the AbleTeam in tandem. I'm still open to thoughts from the community but I'll keep this thread updated with team Able's progress for everyone's benefit.

Ciao,
Cal

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:01 am

I deleted index files once to see how they were re-created. I had to restart IIS to get them to start building again- I deleted too many files.
See if your hoster could .o that to the site. It is good that you have contacted Able about it though- they need to know these things.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

Calbeth
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by Calbeth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:30 am

FYI to the community--this has been (sort of) resolved. Mike Ward of Able Solutions and team weren't able to get an exact diagnosis, so we resorted to an old-fashioned reinstall. Backed up all customizations but had to sacrifice the database, unfortunately. Gremlins, we guess. At any rate, we're back in business. Thanks to all.