Product image directory for a 2 server web farm

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
KenPalmer
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Product image directory for a 2 server web farm

Post by KenPalmer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:46 am

We have 2 web host servers for our single AbleCommerce Gold store. When administering product images, the image files are being successfully created in the Assets/ProductImages directory on one of the servers. I checked the other server directory, and it did not have the files.

Discussing this with our development team, one thought was to upload them to virtual directory pointing to a network share. Is this feasible?

Also, I've been trying to find where the path of "Assets\ProductImages" gets set in the code. A few places I've found have a hard coded reference, for instance the UploadImage.aspx.cs file notes this on line 136, or line 20 of OrphanedItems.aspx has it. If we needed to change that directory reference in the code, where is that directory originally getting set? We thought it might be in a configuration file, but were unable to find it. Is that set somewhere in the database? Thanks.

mikek
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: Product image directory for a 2 server web farm

Post by mikek » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:14 pm

In order to share product images between two or more servers you have to setup a shared storage trough iSCSI or other SAN storage. You can also have only the Assets folder shared by using hard folder links (MKLINK windows command) on both servers pointing to the same shared folder.
Mike Kolev

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Re: Product image directory for a 2 server web farm

Post by jmestep » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:43 am

When I had a site on three servers in the past, we used RoboCopy to synchronize the files every 15 minutes.
From what I remember in Able 7, the image directory is hard coded in the source code.
When I had a site at Drundo in the past and needed a lot of storage for digital files, they did map a SAN storage where the digital files were physically located and it worked well.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx