List of feature loss items and road map?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

List of feature loss items and road map?

Post by NC Software » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:46 am

I looked yesterday to find anywhere that Able pointed out GOLD does not have a FedEx provider to hopefully also find information on any other items missing from GOLD [7.0.8] that are in 7.0.7. I'm hesitant to leave 7.0.7 until I'm sure everything I need and expect is in GOLD. Does anyone know where a list is of feature loss items not yet implemented in GOLD? Kayako does this, scroll down to the "features not present" section for info related to people moving from v3 to v4:

http://wiki.kayako.com/display/DOCS/Inf ... ko+3+users

It would be nice to have the same and know what's not there.

Also, any published road map as to what's to come in R4, R5, etc. so I can determine my best entry point should I decide to migrate to 7.0.8?
Last edited by NC Software on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Re: List of feature loss items and road map?

Post by compunerdy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 am

Good question, I still see a lot of people posting issues with gold which makes me not want to start the migration.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Hello All,

We're actively collecting feedback within GOLD to develop the roadmap, currently we're working on Dataport, download DB backup, out of stock eta, new UPS certification which makes it easier to get negotiated rates. With R3 containing over 200 fixes and improvements, it's very stable. In R3 we added a feedback tab in the admin connected to uservoice, which is excellent for collecting feature requests and has a built in voting system. So the sooner you get started with GOLD the sooner you can start guiding the roadmap. The 2 year sunset is quickly approaching for 7.0.7.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Mike,

I think you should revisit your 7.0.7 "sunset" clock- it's unrealistic and should be supported and updated for bug fixes a minimum of 5 years. GOLD should speak for itself to warrant those that want to migrate, not a timeline such as two years to push people into renewals/revenue. As long as someone has a current subscription they should be able to have 7.0.7 updates. It's all about customer service, not sales. People want to keep whittling away on their current site, not rebuild every two years, that's not going to work in a massive asp.net web site.

When AbleCommerce.com upgrades to GOLD so will I :)

UserVoice access should be a link on your web site for any AC user to contribute, not a GOLD participation only via the product.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

frankenstein897
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by frankenstein897 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:29 am

I have been happy with Gold so far. I don't use FedEx so it isn't an issue yet, we are thinking of using FedEx so it could be an issue for me later.

I have tried to make it easier on myself to upgrade to the latest and greatest as soon as I can. I documented every change I make after every upgrade and I can get it up and running in less than an hour now. Not bad for little ol' me. I wouldn't even call myself a developer, more of a hacker :-)

All I ask of Able is to keep improving the product with bug fixes and new features. I like the Rx releases, it gives me something to look forward to and influence the product directly. I use the feedback button, I post on Facebook, I try to make a difference. I have seen some of my requests come to life in the release of the product. I love that.

Yes, there are probably better products on the market today. But, for how long? We have used 2 other products just to see them die. I like active product development and I am glad to see Able doing that now. With that said, we do have a plan if we ever need to switch products. Always have to have a back out plan. We have gotten good at changing products since we have had to do it twice already.

Anyway, thought I would just throw in my $.02. It's free. :-)
Thanks,
Chris

http://www.networkcablesonline.com
Network Cables Online, LLC
Running AbleCommerce GOLD R6

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:59 am

Hello Chris,

Thanks for all the feedback!
Yes, there are probably better products on the market today. But, for how long? We have used 2 other products just to see them die.
I don't believe there is a better product in terms of quality of code and features. There are a lot of products on the market where the foundation of the code is spaghetti or the code is so bloated that it takes multiple servers to run even a moderate size site. We're getting pretty close to 2 decades in the business, so we've seen the turnover in the industry 1st hand. I'm always looking at our competitors and you can tell by their blogs, news and frequency of releases that they are hanging on by a thread.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

frankenstein897
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by frankenstein897 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 am

We evaluated several products before landing on Able. For our business it was the best fit and provided the best direction for what we sell. We wanted something that most of the features we used were included in the core product. Our goal is to customize less and less code. We feel that it will better for us to be as close to "out of the box" as possible. It reduces complexities and cost.

Keep up with the bug fixes and innovation.
Thanks,
Chris

http://www.networkcablesonline.com
Network Cables Online, LLC
Running AbleCommerce GOLD R6

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:03 pm

NC Software wrote:Able pointed out GOLD does not have a FedEx provider
There is a free (open source) plugin available here. This has been pointed out to you many times.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.