Category Product Sort Order

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Category Product Sort Order

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:19 am

Hi -

We are using Gold R5 and I'd like to have the products sort by manual method when viewing category pages as they are done in the admin. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Greg

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Re: Category Product Sort Order

Post by ForumsAdmin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:40 am

Product by default are sorted by the order you set in the admin. Isn't it working like that for you?

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:57 am

I've tried this on two different sites; one fresh Gold R4 site with only theme work done and the other a R5 site that was upgraded from Gold R4. Both do not honor the sorting in the admin area that is set in the category view page where the green up/down arrows are.

triplw
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by triplw » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 am

I need the same thing. I'm using the Category Grid (Deep Item Display). I tried adding

Code: Select all

<asp:ListItem Text="Click for options" Value=""></asp:ListItem>
to the SortResults DropDownList but products sill aren't displayed in the same order as Admin.

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 am

We are using the same category grid (deep item display) page as triplw.

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:48 am

Able 7 had the same problem on the two deep item display pages. I think it might be because the page is designed to pull products from several categories, so there would be conflicting admin order- each category would have a 1, 2, etc. Since this has been a problem over the years, maybe Able could add a second parameter like sort by category name, admin order.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Post by ForumsAdmin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 am

Are your products in more than one category?

Also please note that in deep item display, items are listed from all sub-categories recursively. The sort order within each category is respected, but if a product is in more than one category, which sort order to take into consideration? In the merchant admin you have defined sort order by category. There is no sort order by the entire catalog. So when your product is in more than one categories and you are listing products from multiple categories, you are likely to see some conflict.

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:48 am

Hi -

All of our products (so far in our development test) are only assigned to one category, and we have no sub categories in the system at this time.

Thanks,
Greg

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Post by ForumsAdmin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 am

Then there no other reason for merchant order not to work. Do you see this issue on all category pages? Can you please apply a shallow display page on a category and let us know if sort order isn't working at all? When we come to deep display, the sort orders defined for each product in category can conflict with the sort order of another category, so this is somwhat subjective topci and can cause confusion. First we want to make sure that sort order is working on your system for shallow display, then we can disucss the deep display.

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:37 am

Hello - thanks for assisting with this. I changed the category display page to the shallow option which does honor the sorting order. I'll keep poking around and see if there is something in the Category Grid template we modified, but I don't believe we have.

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Following-up: Confirmed no changes were made to the Category Grid (deep) view and they definitely do not honor the settings in admin. We do not have any sub categories so something is goofy.