Server Error - Site is down

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
triplw
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Server Error - Site is down

Post by triplw » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 am

GOLD R5 LIVE site completely crashed and resetting the app pool doesn't help. this is the error:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
System.Web.PipelineModuleStepContainer.GetEventCount(RequestNotification notification, Boolean isPostEvent) +30
System.Web.PipelineStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error) +266
System.Web.HttpApplication.BeginProcessRequestNotification(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb) +132
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +693

Can anyone help?

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Re: Server Error - Site is down

Post by ForumsAdmin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 am

Does not look like something caused by AC Gold. From the exception trace it appears that the app pool fails to start at all. Have you made any system updates recently?

triplw
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by triplw » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Just launched the site 3 days ago and this is the first problem. The server admin recommended using Lucene search instead of SQL because "a search engine bot can overload the server if it auto-enters random words in site default search box and search provider is SQL."

I had switched to SQL search immediately after installation because of this recent post:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17422&p=74712&hilit=lucene#p74712

Another possibility:
An employee told me that they were in Admin and tried to search for every order ever placed (5 1/2 years worth) and that's when the site slowed down and crashed. I did see some errors in Admin that referred to ~/Admin/Orders/ViewOrder.aspx.

But anyway the site is back up. Thank you for your help.

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Post by ForumsAdmin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:11 pm

An employee told me that they were in Admin and tried to search for every order ever placed (5 1/2 years worth) and that's when the site slowed down and crashed. I did see some errors in Admin that referred to ~/Admin/Orders/ViewOrder.aspx.
hmmm... something we will investigate. Search should be scalable to search from millions of records in database. How many total orders you have in your database approximately?