Admin started throwing error

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
dbreyley
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Admin started throwing error

Post by dbreyley » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 am

the admin started throwing a timeout error (was working fine last week)
I can get to cretin pages int the admin fine, like the error log. The error log also has errors
"Error Generating Google Feed" (which we do not use)
"Error maintaining catalog nodes "
"Error maintaining custom urls "

on the public facing we are also getting an error calling Able Code.

Any help would be appreciated.

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Re: Admin started throwing error

Post by ForumsAdmin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Which version of AC Gold are you at?

Can you please share the App_Data/Logs/app.log file?

dbreyley

Post by dbreyley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 am

We are on ABLE Gold
VERSION: 7.0.8.5731

App.Log is attached

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Post by ForumsAdmin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Your exception log is full of errors like this

Code: Select all

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
This is not happening for any particular query. It is happening for many different queries - even for very simple queries. I believe what you need to is ensure your Database server is responding fast enough and you need to make sure there is no network latency issue. Your host should be able to help you in this regard.

dbreyley

Post by dbreyley » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:41 am

We have our live and dev sites pointing to the same database server.
The live site (on 7.0 ), and other sites that are using the same database sever is not having any issues.

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Post by ForumsAdmin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:17 pm

When did the problem start occuring? Do you remember doing anything that could have any relation to your database? Something must have gone wrong with the database in use becuase the log show very simple and straightforward queries getting timedout. For example queries like this should be executed in milliseconds or even less.

Code: Select all

[ SELECT count(*) as y0_ FROM ac_Products this_ WHERE not (this_.VisibilityId = @p0) and this_.ExcludeFromFeed = @p1 ]
Could there be something that corrupted the database? Messed up its indexes or anything?

bhill
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by bhill » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:22 am

We are having this same type of problem with the admin search function. After we upgraded our dev site with the latest Db from the live site. Searches for order #'s will execute fine. But other searches timeout.
Here are a couple errors from the log file:

2013-11-01 13:12:16,298 ERROR oNet.AbstractBatcher Could not execute query: SELECT count(*) as y0_ FROM ac_PageViews this_ WHERE this_.StoreId = @p0 and this_.ActivityDate < @p1
System.InvalidOperationException: ExecuteReader requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.

2013-11-12 16:52:09,336 ERROR AbleCommerce An error has occured at https://storebeta.mises.org/Admin/Search.aspx?k=GC
System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> NHibernate.Exceptions.GenericADOException: could not execute query
[ SELECT count(distinct this_.OrderId) as y0_ FROM ac_Orders this_ left outer join .... The wait operation timed out
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Does anyone know what could be causing it? thanks in advance.

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:18 pm

If you visit the Configure > Store > Page Tracking page, how many records are shown in the Current Log section?
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

tripleW

Post by tripleW » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:49 pm

I am using version 7.0.8.5731 also. After enduring 3 /12 months of serious site slowdowns, reports timing out, clusters of random errors, daily verbal abuse from my boss, switching search providers, disabling page tracking (6,00 records), checking everything...... my server host informs me that Gold won't run properly unless you're using MSSQL Server 2008R2 Web Edition. Could this be the problem? The installation documentation says the minimum system requirement is SQL 2005.

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:56 am

my server host informs me that Gold won't run properly unless you're using MSSQL Server 2008R2 Web Edition.
I haven't heard anything like this. As far as I know, AbleCommerce is compatible with both. What database are you using? Is it the Express edition?

Also, if you have a high traffic site, then you need to make sure that the database and webserver are adequate and do not have performance issues which could prevent long running queries from working properly. Are you using dedicated hosting or shared hosting? How much traffic do you get in a typical month? If you share your resources, then how many other clients are using the same resources? I think these are fair questions to ask before we can blame the software.

Thanks
Katie

bhill

Post by bhill » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:56 am

I'm showing 347 Current Records.
Enable tracking for 7 days. We are using SQL server 2008 R2.

Source Error:

Line 24: if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(keywords)) Response.Redirect(AbleCommerce.Code.NavigationHelper.GetAdminUrl());
Line 25: Caption.Text = String.Format(Caption.Text, keywords);
Line 26: _SearchAreaResults = SearchDataSource.Search(keywords, SearchArea.All, 100);
Line 27: ProductUrl = Page.ResolveUrl("~/Admin/Products/EditProduct.aspx?ProductId={0}");
Line 28: UserUrl = Page.ResolveUrl("~/Admin/People/Users/EditUser.aspx?UserId={0}");

Source File: i:\web\StoreBeta\Admin\Search.aspx.cs Line: 26

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:36 am

bhill

What build are you using? What are the search term(s) you enter? Can you get it to error every time? What is the full error with stack trace? What search provider are you using? (SQL, SQL FTS, or Lucene)? I assume you are using the search box in the admin header, is that the case?

Thanks
Katie

tripleW

Post by tripleW » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks for your reply Katie. No one is blaming the software for performance issues. This time of year this website is only getting around 700 visits per day. They are on a dedicated server with a reputable company that specializes in AC websites. Yes the db is SQL express. I'm just asking these questions before I tell them again that they need to spend even more money on server fees to get decent site performance on such a low traffic website.

These people are frustrated. They have been using AC since 2008 and were using a shared server. At that time they got around 2,000 visits per day. Then in 2010 the site started having performance issues which continued to get worse over time. Assemblies not loading, random errors, completely crashing every few days.... Of course the server host was blamed and we switched companies (100% price increase). Problems continued. Still more problems so they moved to a dedicated server (additional 100% price increase). Problems were still not resolved and this went on for several months. Then finally after some other sites started having problems we figure out that the problem is the anonymous user table having too many records.

They were hit hard by the recession and the website performance issues are pushing them over the edge. I just don't want to tell them they have to throw more money at the problem without being sure that the SQL server version is really the problem.

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm really sorry to hear this. We probably could have done better to notify customers about the potential anonymous user issues in older versions of 7.0, and now I wish we had. Posting FAQs on the help site is not enough sometimes.

As far as the existing performance issues, I would be very suspicious of the free SQL express version. We only recommend this for development use, and I know there are some limitations, but I can't say exactly what they are right off-hand.

If hosting costs are becoming an issue, you might consider our services. We offer exclusive ecommerce hosting starting at $99. I can tell you if it would be more than that if you let me know your monthly traffic and database size, but most customers pay $99. We also monitor the sites 24x7, so you don't have to worry about downtime.

Something to think about....