Disable PayPal Express Checkout from mini cart

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Disable PayPal Express Checkout from mini cart

Post by Brewhaus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 pm

In an attempt to ease the burden of "standard" PayPal payments (literally having to reconcile every day) we entered the API credentials to allow us to authorize only at the time of sale, and capture later through AbleCommerce. We quickly had to revert back because:

1) Express Checkout does not force the customer to create an account in our system
2) All orders have shipping rates for a commercial address, yet most are residential addresses

In searching the forum it also sounds like Express Checkout orders will not destock products, but I have not checked on that.

Is there a way to disable Express Checkout from the mini cart, and enable it at the end of the checkout? The "standard" method is a pain, but given the issues above we have no choice but to continue down that same path unless we can find a viable option. Hopefully having it at the end of the checkout process would still allow us to capture later via AC (logging into the PayPal account to capture each payment individually is not feasible), force the customer to create an account, and (hopefully) give residential shipping rates and destock the products.
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Disable PayPal Express Checkout from mini cart

Post by Katie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:26 am

Express checkout bypasses the AbleCommerce checkout system. This is how it works, so I don't think there is an easy solution.

So, what kind of issue are you having with Paypal IPN? You should be able to Authorize and Capture via AbleCommerce.
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 pm

If we do not have the API information in place then we cannot capture from AbleCommerce (the attempt comes back as Capture Failed because there is no API information). If we insert the API information then Express Checkout is available to the customer, and that causes too many problems (customers are not forced to register, and we lose several dollars on the shipping for every single order because commercial shipping rates are applied), so Express Checkout is simply not an option.

From the sound of it we will have to continue with PayPal Standard (which, I am told by PayPal, cannot "authorize"- it has to charge at the time of sale), and simply reconcile the PayPal account against our shipped orders every day, in addition to manually refunding the customer if too much shipping was charged. Or, is there an alternative (other than dropping PayPal, which I really wish we could do because of the work that it adds)?
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

ChipWV
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by ChipWV » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:10 am

I'd love to disable PayPal Express checkout in the Mini-Cart too, just for the commercial shipping issue. I'm tempted to disable the mini-cart just for this purpose, much as I like the visibility it gives the customer.

Good luck, I've complained about this for awhile.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:55 am

The attached MiniBasket files have the paypal express box removed. They go in the Conlib directory.

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:48 pm

Is there any benefit to removing Express Checkout from the mini basket? Based on what I was told by PayPal, if the Express Checkout option is not used then we cannot just authorize the charge at the time the order is placed. And, from what Katie has said, using Express Checkout bypasses the AC checkout, causing a host of other issues.

Please correct me if I am off base, as we would love to find a way to integrate this!
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

kwikstand
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by kwikstand » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:46 am

What about Adwords tracking code? It needs to be on the receipt page, which I have, but when a customer uses Paypal, they don't go to the receipt page. So these conversions are not tracked.

Maybe I am wrong, or there is a way to configure this to work. Has anybody else dealt with this?

Scott
Contractor's Solutions
www. contractors-solutions.net

ChipWV

Post by ChipWV » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 am

I believe if the customer uses the full checkout and selects paypal, they come back to the receipt page. This is not the case with the Paypal express checkout, they never get back to the receipt page.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Chip
www.OVISonline.com

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:37 am

I haven't tested this myself, but isn't there a setting within Paypal to return the user to your store?

Set the Profile-> SellingProfiles-> WebsitePaymentPreferences -> AutoReturn: ON

The issue with forced commercial addresses will be fixed with our next release or R7 (coming soon). We will also try and get a hot patch out for those of you who can't upgrade right away. It will be a few weeks (2-3) longer, because we are a little behind on our development schedule right now.

Thanks for your patience, and please remember to report bugs via the green Feedback button. It can be easy to miss them when they are here in the forums.

Katie

kwikstand
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by kwikstand » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 am

Yes. I Have mine set to XXdomain/Checkout/Receipt.aspx, but I don't know if that page will actually come up when coming from Paypal. I can't try a test because Paypal won't let me with my own account. I would have to set up another account with Paypal. When I try to go directly to the receipt.aspx page, it takes me to Members/MyAccount.aspx instead, if I am logged in. If I am not logged in, it takes me to the login page.
Contractor's Solutions

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:12 am

Well, maybe you can find a friend with a Paypal account that would be willing to test for you :) I think the AutoReturn feature works though...

The receipt page cannot be accessed directly. You would need to go to Members/MyOrder.aspx to view the final order invoice. It is a duplicate of the receipt page except it doesn't have some of the special payment processing code.

kwikstand
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by kwikstand » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Yea, I didn't think the receipt page could be accessed directly. That is good because you don't want someone going back to it and double counting conversions. My concern is, that this being the case, how can a customer be brought to the receipt page coming from Paypal? If they pay on Paypal's site and then are sent back, won't the be brought to the accounts page instead?
Contractor's Solutions

roadkill
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Post by roadkill » Wed May 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Any solution on this?

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Wed May 28, 2014 12:37 pm

A lot of issues have been discussed here. What are you asking about?

roadkill

Post by roadkill » Thu May 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Sorry...i was referring to the paypal issue that it doesn't track in adwords as it bounces back the order summary page and not the receipt page.

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Fri May 30, 2014 6:33 am

What happens if you add the tracking code to the order summary page?

There is some assumption that the user will return to the store, but that cannot be guaranteed so the usefulness of the tracking code is negligible.

roadkill

Post by roadkill » Fri May 30, 2014 8:47 am

You have a product that doesn't work correctly with one of largest advertising and payment platforms....don't you think they should fix it? Is there a fix in the works?