CommerceBulder WebAPI - Required or Not?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
SuperMindConsulting
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

CommerceBulder WebAPI - Required or Not?

Post by SuperMindConsulting » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:53 pm

CommerceBuilder WebAPI. The current documentation mentions that it is mainly for future use, but developers can use the services now.

Are these services required for the the Store / Site to function?

2 scenarios below.

1) We have a client request to hide / disable the public API's. They don't want to make it "easy" for someone to scrape their catalog content. One way we thought was to change up the maps/routes on app start, but a cleaner approach would be to remove from web.config and bin. Thoughts/suggestions?

2) Along similar lines, we are building iOS and Android apps for another client that will hit their AbleCommerce site. We plan to use WebApi v2 and odata. From our past experience with trying to add WebAPIv2 services, the web application throws an exception onstart - somewhere from the Help documentation class. The current Commerce Builder WebAPI appears to reference the older WebAPI. (Apparently, the WebAPI v2 interface for that class contains new methods/overloads).

2a) Will CommerceBuilder WepAPI be updated to use the latest WebAPI stack anytime soon?
2b) Can we safely disable the CommerceBuilder WebAPI reference without affecting the behavior of the store. (Similar to #1 above)

Thanks for your help!
Thanks,
George Naqi
SuperMindConsulting.com

jguengerich
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Re: CommerceBulder WebAPI - Required or Not?

Post by jguengerich » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:07 am

This is anecdotal evidence, but I just tried removing the dll and commenting out the line in web.config from my test site, and everything else seemed to work fine.

What I do on my live site is restrict access to the api based on IP address range via applicationHost.config. I only allow access to IP addresses on our internal private IP address subnet (we are hosting AC on our own server).

For IIS 7.5, add the following to the c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config file (at the bottom, just above the </configuration> line):

Code: Select all

<location path="[Your site name here without brackets]/Api">
    <system.webServer>
        <security>
            <ipSecurity allowUnlisted="false">
                <add ipAddress="[Your subnet address here without brackets]" subnetMask="[Your subnet mask here without brackets]" allowed="true" />
            </ipSecurity>
        </security>
    </system.webServer>
</location>
I did this by manually editing the file because the api path doesn't show up in the site's tree in IIS Manager.
Jay

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: CommerceBulder WebAPI - Required or Not?

Post by mazhar » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 am

2a) Will CommerceBuilder WepAPI be updated to use the latest WebAPI stack anytime soon?
We can't provide any time line on this.
2b) Can we safely disable the CommerceBuilder WebAPI reference without affecting the behavior of the store. (Similar to #1 above)
Yeah. WebAPI was future use and mostly to allow third party application have access on application. We haven't used API internally as of this point. You can safely disable it.