Forgot Username or Password link does not send emails

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
bugman
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Forgot Username or Password link does not send emails

Post by bugman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:28 am

The "Forgot Username or Password" link on our home page does not work - it does not send emails.

It SAYS the email was sent, but it's not being received. Have had several actual customers inform us of this, and I've tested myself with 2 diff email addresses (that are receiving other emails).

Anybody else seen this?
Thanks!

--
bugman
AbleCommerce for ASP.NET
VERSION: 7.0.90.8302
Release Label: GoldR10

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Forgot Username or Password link does not send emails

Post by Katie » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Can you try using the Forgot Password link from the standard login page? It sounds like a customization that isn't working because you would have had to code this into the page. It's not there by default.
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

bugman
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by bugman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:47 pm

My bad - "home page" is not correct - I am talking about the link on the "login" page (reached by clicking ACCOUNT at top of any page).

Interestingly, I was just reading the Merchant Guide (working on another issue - why email triggers are not working), and noticed this description of the Forgot Password link:

From the login.aspx page, there is a "Forgot Password?" link for the user. When clicked, it will allow the user to enter a registered email (username) so that a Lost Password email can be sent with instructions. The user is instructed to check their email and follow the link to reset their password. Clicking the link in the email will bring them to a page where they can create a new password and login.

Note that it says REGISTERED email. When the customer has checked out as a Guest, their email is not technically REGISTERED yet, is it?
Thanks!

--
bugman
AbleCommerce for ASP.NET

abradley
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by abradley » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:40 am

Katie, We have also seen a problem with the forgot password link. We just reset the users password for them, but I can confirm it.
Austin

bugman
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by bugman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Just had another one - customer clicked Forgot Password link several times, said it told him an email had been sent, but no email was ever received.

I also had to reset his PW manually as Austin reported.

Hope this can be given a decently high priority, not good to promote that functionality by having the link there if it doesn't work. :-O

Thanks!!
Thanks!

--
bugman
AbleCommerce for ASP.NET

bugman
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by bugman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

OH, and this last one I just reported was a registered user - not an anonymous user.
Thanks!

--
bugman
AbleCommerce for ASP.NET

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:50 pm

I am sure that the Lost Password email is working. AbleCommerce Gold has been around for 2 years now, and I've seen no other reports of this happening. It is possible in the older version you are using that the Lost password email doesn't work for an anonymous user. It does work in the latest R8 version - I just tested again to confirm. This would be a major issue and there have been no reports for any version of Gold.

It's possible that the email is not setup properly. It needs to have a trigger assigned "Customer requested password assistance"

It's also possible that the email is ending up in customer's spam folder.

Have you tried to create a registered user account and use the Lost Password form yourself? If it works for you, then it should be working for any registered user.

abradley

Post by abradley » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:09 pm

I believe I remember an issue for R6(maybe?) myself, but R8 has fixed the problem. I can confirm on R8 everything works as intended, even the problem I am about to detail.... Maybe bugman can confirm if this is happening on his build because if its the same issue, I remember the steps to duplicate the problem.

The problem we had in the past was that in certain circumstances, the forgot password link did not work. I think we tracked it down to specifically a certain case. If you simply go to the login screen and hit the lost password link, it worked fine.

But if a customer was browsing as a guest and added product to his cart, then tried to checkout by clicking on "Cart" then "Checkout," it would redirect you to a login screen that had a link to "Recover Password". This link was the one that did not work. I cant remember if I reported it or not, Im assuming not.
Austin

bugman
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by bugman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am

Trigger for my "Lost Password" email template is set to "Customer requested password assistance".

Just tried again, neither link works - not the one on the main Account page, nor the one you get after adding an item to shopping cart and then hitting Checkout (which I do see is a different link) - both SAY an email was sent - no apparent errors - but no email is received. Tested with my own email address.

All other emails we MANUALLY send through the Admin tools are working fine (customers are receiving fine), and our Order Notification email is TRIGGERING & sending fine, but still cannot get an email to TRIGGER automatically when customer's payment does not process, with trigger set to EITHER of: "Payment capture failed" or "Payment authorization failed".

I did have a good bit of customization done to my site, I will press the developer for some help on this as well.

Meanwhile... any assistance from anyone on this forum is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

--
bugman
AbleCommerce for ASP.NET

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:24 am

I just tested on an R6 install and it works. This can only be due to a customization.

mikek
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by mikek » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:06 am

This could be an issue with your email hosting provider. Some providers don't allow emails to be sent from email addresses different from
the SMTP user account email. For instance if your SMTP email account configured in AbleCommerce ( Administration > Configure > Email > Settings )
is myaccount@domain.com and in your AbleCommerce email templates the default email is sales@domain.com your email provider may block the emails.

- Try to set the SMTP email address as default email template address and "Service From Address" and see if it would work

- Add the default email template address and "Service From Address" as email alias to the SMTP email account address with your hosting provider.
Mike Kolev

bugman
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by bugman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:08 am

Mike - interesting thoughts - I appreciate it - but I'm a little fuzzy on a couple points.

The main SMTP account email in my Able setup is indeed different than the "Service From" address (main address = websales@mydomain.com and Service Address = noreply@mydomain.com).

But... this is the recommended setting - the little help popup in the Able email settings panel suggests setting the Service Address to an unattended address, and specifically suggests noreply@mydomain.com. You think that could be part of the problem?

As for setting the "noreply" address as an alias, I would do that with my HOSTING provider, not my company ISP, right? My Able site hosting provider is a company in CA, and my ISP here at my office is WOW (used to be Knology). So it would be my hosting provider in CA that would need to set noreply as an alias for the websales address?

And thanks again for your help!
Thanks!

--
bugman
AbleCommerce for ASP.NET