Manual Time Zone Setting Caused Holiday Sale Snafoo

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Manual Time Zone Setting Caused Holiday Sale Snafoo

Post by NC Software » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:17 am

I'm posting this to the GOLDen forum even though I'm still using 707 but I believe from what I recall the functionality is unchanged. As reported for literally years AbleCommerce does not automatically change the time zone with DST changes. AbleCommerce is the only web product I have that does NOT do this. For the first time I forgot to change the time zone in the admin this past time change and as a result my coupon for the holiday weekend sale expired an hour early! I cannot emphasize enough that one of two things must occur:

1) Code the friggin automatic time zone handling already - it's 2014 people and you have the most powerful dev framework ever with .NET 4.x
2) Kindly send out a notification via the Admin feed at each time zone change to remind merchants to manually set it because your product can't. Believe it or not Porsche sends me an e-mail every time change reminding me to check/uncheck the DST setting in my car because even though it has GPS they don't handle time zone changes either BUT they are kind enough to help me remember.

Please act on this.

Thank you.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

deverill
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Re: Manual Time Zone Setting Caused Holiday Sale Snafoo

Post by deverill » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:36 pm

I just set a Google Calendar reminder for this kind of thing. That way if the US Congress changes the rules it's easy to update my calendar and adjust all future instances of my repeating alert rather than relying on others to tell me. It is annoying, yes, but if that were my biggest issue I'd be pretty doggone happy.

Jim
Jim Sewell - Web Programmer
Trusted Tours & Attractions

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi Neal,

Please post the feature to uservoice as features are selected by user vote.

http://ablecommerce.uservoice.com/

Considering...

States and territories in the United States that do not observe daylight saving time, aside from most of Arizona, include: Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Some parts of Indiana did not observe daylight saving time in the past. However, the entire state is now united in observing daylight saving time since 2006 despite being split into different time zones.

This isn't as easy as it may sound and based on the fact that we are still getting calls from people that their USPS just stopped working which actually happened months ago, even adding it to the news feed isn't going to help much.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:34 pm

It's very easy Mike - .NET handles it. Heck, if my PHP sites can handle it .NET sure can. This has been discussed in various forums here over a number of years. And when it last came up from another customer I put it in UV per Katie's request. It's really not that hard.

http://ablecommerce.uservoice.com/forum ... ight-savin
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:34 pm

FYI Mike, I did not get an e-mail of the reply, either my end or your end has an e-mail problem. Don't think it's my end...
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.