Fixed Redirects

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
rmaweb
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Fixed Redirects

Post by rmaweb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:23 am

Hello Everyone,

The Fixed Redirect system in Ablecommerce, does it product 301 Permanent Redirects, or something else? I need to use 301 Permanent Redirects for search engine purposes from old pages to new ones, and was wondering if I could get away with using the built in redirect service.

If not I was planning on using the HttpResponse.RedirectPermanent method in a custom layout that I would assign each page to and jerry-rig it to use the url I would put in the HTML Head field as the redirect url.

Thanks,
Ryan A.
Scott's Bait and Tackle
http://store.scottsbt.com
Work In Progress
Able Gold R10
Bootstrap 3.3

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Fixed Redirects

Post by mazhar » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:51 am

Yes it does 301 redirects to flag page is permanently moved. You can go ahead and configure your redirects for pages moved to new URLs.

sweeperq
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Re: Fixed Redirects

Post by sweeperq » Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 am

I was curious about this as well. I tried creating a static .aspx file with a 301 redirect in order to maintain SEO goodness for one of our category pages, however AC7 seems to ignore files that exist on disk when processing rewrites. Was thinking the Fixed Redirects might be a potential solution.

I was a little worried because when I used Fiddler to inspect what was happening at the request level my original URL was not present in the request stream. Turned out that after the 1st request the browser cached the redirect and didn't send any further requests to that page. I didn't realize this because I had started Fiddler after the initial request. When I flushed the browser cache the 301 redirect was issued again for URL specified in my AC7 Fixed Redirect rule.