R10 Redirects /mobile to Home Page

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
kwikstand
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

R10 Redirects /mobile to Home Page

Post by kwikstand » Mon May 04, 2015 3:16 pm

I just upgraded to R10 and I am using the Bootstrap_Responsive theme. If someone goes to or clicks a link to one of the old /mobile pages, they are redirected to the home page. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

I am wondering how the search engines are going to treat this.

Thanks,

Scott
Contractor's Solutions
www. contractors-solutions.net

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: R10 Redirects /mobile to Home Page

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Tue May 05, 2015 9:24 am

I am wondering how the search engines are going to treat this.
I don't see any of your pages in google indexed for the /mobile directory, are you able to find any?
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

kwikstand
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by kwikstand » Wed May 06, 2015 2:33 pm

Well, I am looking at Webmasters duplicate title tags. Here is a screen shot of the first few.
Contractor's Solutions

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Thu May 07, 2015 3:06 pm

I would imagine that you will no longer have a duplicate titles and content errors since the separate mobile site is going to be replaced by responsive. That's a good thing. I'm not sure what your concern is? When Google indexes your pages, I don't think they index both mobile and std pages. For example, if I type "Seat Base Extension for Cabinetizer Cabinet Lift" into the search form, I get your main site link, not the mobile and std pages.
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

kwikstand
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by kwikstand » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:51 am

I don't know about Google indexing both std. pages and the /mobile/ pages, but the /mobile/ pages are still showing up as duplicates. Now I am getting "Faulty Redirect" from Google. Specifically, it says,

"URLs redirect to an irrelevant landing page instead of the equivalent, smartphone-optimized version of the desktop page. If there isn't a smartphone-optimized page, show the desktop URL with this content. Showing irrelevant pages may result in a ranking change. Learn more"

Isn't there a way to make the old /mobile/ pages redirect to the std. URL? Since I am using the responsive theme, their is only one URL.
Contractor's Solutions

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 pm

I think you are facing an issue with enable/disable UI reported in R10. Please have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=65&t=18336
You will have to tick the mobile store option in order to disable to /mobile redirect.

kwikstand
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by kwikstand » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Thanks, but that is not the case. Just try to go to my site using the old mobile directory: http://www.contractors-solutions.net/mobile. You will see that it does NOT go to the old mobile pages and works fine in the new responsive theme. The problem BECAUSE I am using the new responsive them, the old /mobile site is disabled and Able seems to automatically redirect all /mobile/ pages to the home page. Google Webmaster's is now telling me I have "Faulty Redirects" and has this warning:
URLs redirect to an irrelevant landing page instead of the equivalent, smartphone-optimized version of the desktop page. If there isn't a smartphone-optimized page, show the desktop URL with this content. Showing irrelevant pages may result in a ranking change. Learn more
Notice that it may result in a ranking change?

So I added "Disallow: /mobile/" to my robots.txt and then removed "http://www.contractors-solutions.net/mobile/" using Google's removal tool

I hope this solves the problem, but can't Able redirect mobile pages to the regular page by stripping out the /mobile/?
Contractor's Solutions

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:14 am

I see. Well right now it always redirects back to home page when store is closed though suggestion you made makes sense. I don't see any easy way to accomplish this without making changes to back end source code.