Order Notes-One action w/2 Notes & 2 Authors

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Order Notes-One action w/2 Notes & 2 Authors

Post by AnySupport » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:28 am

Hello,
We are working on an R9 installation. We've been reviewing the order notes as we had some added to provide more detail. While breaking down the results to figure out standard vs (which) custom .. we noticed that the standard didn't match the merchant guide.
The programmer confirmed those notes were standard in our system.
They also retested in an R10 system with the same findings.
These are all for actions made within Admin.
  • COMMENT: A payment capture for $$$ is being requested
  • [list]
  • R9 (our system): Author = admin acct's user name
  • Guide: Author = "system

[*]COMMENT: A payment capture for $$$ has been received
  • R9 (our system): Author = customer acct's user name
  • Guide:Author = "system"
[*]COMMENT: A The order has been shipped.
  • R9 (our system): Author = customer acct's user name
[*]COMMENT: The order status has been changed from Shipment Pending to Complete. (exact same time stamp as above)
  • R9 (our system): Author = admin acct's user name
[/list]
  1. Is the guide wrong or using some older version? Is the next release maybe going to implement this?
  2. If this functionality is otherwise standard (and the use of "system" as an author is not), what is the rationale for two notes associated with a single action that cannot be initiated by two different users be associated to two different authors?
Ultimately it can be parsed out but it makes the order note table much more complicated to sift through than seems necessary.

Please let me know if you can clarify these questions.
Thanks!

AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Re: Order Notes-One action w/2 Notes & 2 Authors

Post by AnySupport » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Does no one else see this dual author assignment for a single action in their instance?

Does system appear as the logging author for any release?

Please let me know either way, so I can have some other perspectives for reference!
I'm completely stumped and don't know where else to ask.

Thank you!

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:46 am

It maybe some mistake in guide. When adding notes we do mark their note type as SystemPrivate or SystemPublic but the author will be the user account in context. For example if customer is making checkout then author name will be customer's account. Similarly if merchant perform some actions then his account will appear in author field. NoteTypeId field in Notes table can have information what is the type of note which could be

Code: Select all

Public = 0 

Private = 1 

SystemPublic = 2 

SystemPrivate = 3

abradley
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by abradley » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:52 am

We are trying to make an order notes indicator on the order page to save a click and eliminate errors overlooking notes while processing orders.

Right now, it looks like the best way is going to be parsing out the beginning words of notes to detect when a "custom" note is on the order such as instructions or special requests.
Austin

AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by AnySupport » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:05 am

clarification update only really
mazhar wrote:It maybe some mistake in guide. When adding notes we do mark their note type as SystemPrivate or SystemPublic but the author will be the user account in context. For example if customer is making checkout then author name will be customer's account. Similarly if merchant perform some actions then his account will appear in author field. ...
Then this is more than just a merchant guide mistake since actions take by a merchant from within Admin are not having the merchant account in the author field.
An ADMIN action is getting marked with notes sometimes marked with the customer as the author, when the customer had absolutely no involvement with the action itself. (examples in original post: payment received, order shipped)

I'd submitted this to AbleCommerce as a bug when this forum post was created, but heard nothing back at all.
I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a response or not. I've never submitted a bug directly before.

Thank you!

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:48 am

I am going to locate the report and will review for possible issues as you explained.