Adding Permissions to User Roles

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Adding Permissions to User Roles

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:47 am

Hi -

We have upgraded to AC Gold R10 for our client, as well as implemented ShipStation for exporting and importing orders for shipping. We'd like to extend the Order Manager role to have the ability to export orders, and sync statuses from ShipStation. In looking at the Admin role guide, the only roles that have this ability appear to be Admins. I found Joe's post from a few years back detailing how to add new roles/permissions (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10045) however, there isn't a web.config file in the /Admin/DataExchange folder currently and I didn't want to break anything.

Can anyone provide some assistance here? I'd prefer not to make these users admins if I can help it.

Thanks,
Greg

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Adding Permissions to User Roles

Post by mazhar » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:26 am

In order to do this you will need updates at two places. First you need to update App_Data/adminmenu.xml and secondly web.config dataexchange folder. I have attached zip file containing both documents modified for your requirements with proper folder structure. One file is new so you don't need to worry about any conflicts but if you have already made any updates to your App_Data/adminmenu.xml then you will have to merge the changes from this patch.

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Mazhar -

Thank you very much!

Greg

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:30 am

Hi Mazhar -

The admin menu doesn't seem to update in the page. I've tried a hard reset (CTRL+F5) as well as recycling the app pool, but the user in this group doesn't ever see the Data > ShipStation menus. If I hit the pages directly, they load properly so I know that the access works, but the XML page doesn't seem to want to refresh. Any tricks you can think of to get the admin nav menu to update?

Thanks,
Greg

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:11 pm

My mistake! I forgot one update in adminmenu.xml. Please locate following line

Code: Select all

<menuItem title="Data" url="~/admin/menu.aspx?path=data" roles="System,Admin" description="Import and export your store data.">
and then update it like

Code: Select all

<menuItem title="Data" url="~/admin/menu.aspx?path=data" roles="System,Admin,Manage Orders" description="Import and export your store data.">
I forgot to update "Manage Orders" role on Data menu item.

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:14 am

That did the trick! I thought I caught and tried that, but must have missed it.

Thanks again.