USPS down again- how to avoid server error

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

USPS down again- how to avoid server error

Post by Brewhaus » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:15 am

A customer alerted me this morning to a problem checking out. I quickly found that the issue is with the USPS server again, and then the website times out and throws a 'server error' message to the customer. Not only does this look bad, but it also stops a customer from being able to check out on the website. As a temporary fix I disabled all USPS shipping options so that customers can at least complete their purchases, albeit with only FedEx shipping options.

Is there a way to reduce the time spent trying to pull a rate if the USPS server (or FedEx / UPS server, for that matter) does not return rates so that the website does not throw an error? This way, if / when a server connection issue arises, or for any reason the server does not return a rate, instead of throwing an error the website will simply display the rates that it does receive? This way we do not have to wait until we are contacted by someone to let us know about the issue, as the website would continue to function and display the rates that it does receive.

Even better would be to display the services that rates did not get obtained for and show them as unavailable, so that the customer knows that those options at least exist, but I understand that this would likely be a much larger undertaking.
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Re: USPS down again- how to avoid server error

Post by compunerdy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:29 am

You missed my post below yours but I agree entirely.

A option to just easily turn off USPS all together would be better than how it is now.