Site Maxing out server

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
efficiondave
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Site Maxing out server

Post by efficiondave » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:34 pm

There's something weird going on today. One of my AbleCommerce sites is maxing out my server. This is a site I've hosted for at least 7 years without issue. It is currently running AbleCommerce Gold R10 and has been with no changes for a couple months. A huge number of calls to SQL Server are occurring yet Google Analytics shows normal traffic. I've viewed the Who Is Online report and it does seem Google has been indexing the site for several hours but I don't think that is causing this as it has never been a problem before.

I've restarted the IIS process, SQL Server Process, and rebooted the server and every time it quickly went back to being maxed out.

What can I look for in AbleCommerce to try to figure out what is causing this?

efficiondave
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: Site Maxing out server

Post by efficiondave » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Also, Google Analytics shows 979 pageviews today. The AbleCommerce Page View report shows over 11,000 views in the last hour.

efficiondave
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by efficiondave » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Running some SQL queries against the ac_PageViews table helped shed some light...

SELECT top 100 * from ac_PageViews ORDER BY ActivityDate DESC

the majority of the hits came from two sources and all within milliseconds:
UserAgent: AppEngine-Google; (+http://code.google.com/appengine; appid: s~skawa-easyling)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; AhrefsBot/5.0; +http://ahrefs.com/robot/)

So I used Windows Firewall to block the associated IP addresses (also in that table) and that resolved the issue.

efficiondave
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by efficiondave » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:14 pm

I created a new Thread for addressing the issue of bot blocking: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=18610