Looking for Upgrade advice GOLD R8 -> R11

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
deverill
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Looking for Upgrade advice GOLD R8 -> R11

Post by deverill » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:24 am

Hi everyone,

We have a store that is heavily customized that started in AC5 then 7 then upgraded to GOLD R8 as a complete rewrite of our customizations.

We need to get it current to R11 and I'm looking at the Wiki instructions and the download files and it seems to upgrade I'll need to go from 8 to 9 to 10 to 11. Is that the best way to do it? Would it be less work to just scrap it, install 11 and mod that?

I did a diff between R8 and R11 and there are over 350 files changed so I'm not sure if update + apply customizations three times would be worth doing.

I appreciate input from anyone who has been there and knows.

Jim

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Re: Looking for Upgrade advice GOLD R8 -> R11

Post by compunerdy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:37 am

I would upgrade and then just compare the customized files to the new ones. Most of your customizations should carry over without much if any changes going from R8 to R11.

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:01 am

Jim,

You can install the full build for R11 to a second development site. If you need a key for this purpose, just request one through your order.

Take a COPY of your AC Gold R8 database and change the database configuration setting to point to your Gold R8 database. The database script runs automatically on first access of the application.

After the data is upgraded, set the theme for your store to the one you have for Gold R8.

Then, you can work on merging your customizations. Once everything is done and tested, just switch the installs via IIS.

If you have any questions, please let us know. It does look like we need some better documentation for this on our help site, but hopefully this will get you going.

Thanks
Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

deverill
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by deverill » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:30 am

No, that's great Katie. Thank you for hooking me up. I didn't know if it was better to skip from patch to patch or just jump all-in with the latest.

If I had kept up like a "good user" it wouldn't even be a question but we did so much to go from AC7 to GOLD R8 we were battle weary and couldn't even make ourselves face yet another upgrade. :D

On top of that we have two more AC7 stores yet to go but this one is our main one and we can certainly benefit from some of the newest features.

Again, thanks! Your post does help a lot.
Jim Sewell - Web Programmer
Trusted Tours & Attractions