UPS "Enable Packaging" not behaving as expected

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
crockettdunn
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

UPS "Enable Packaging" not behaving as expected

Post by crockettdunn » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Good day,

I noticed what I at first diagnosed as UPS Online Tools' shipping methods failing to honor the maximum per-item shipping weight. I would have more than 150 lbs of items in a basket (with 50lbs set as the maximum package weight), but UPS methods would still be available for shipping estimation and checkout. After more troubleshooting, I discovered this misbehavior would go away if I un-checked "enable packaging." Fine, except this behavior occurs even for a single 155lb item. It seems like the "enable packaging" checkbox is assuming a basket can be packaged into individual, under-max-weight packages, even if it is one discreet item.

This isn't how I expected it to work. I assumed AbleCommerce would be smart enough to look for individual items under 150lbs, and only allow packaging to come into play when that is the case (3 x 149lb items could be packaged under 150lb each, but 1 160lb item cannot).

Am I misunderstanding something, or is this a bug?

Thanks,
Crockett

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: UPS "Enable Packaging" not behaving as expected

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:37 am

Hey Crockett,

What should we do in these cases is the question?

If enable packaging is enabled. We cannot know if the single item with a weight of 160lbs can or cannot be broken down so that's it's possible to ship. If you've entered the weight and enabled packaging then I'd guess it's reasonable to assume it can be.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

crockettdunn

Re: UPS "Enable Packaging" not behaving as expected

Post by crockettdunn » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:16 pm

I had hoped the setting meant "allow individual items to be spread amongst multiple packages if the total weight of items exceeds the maximum weight of a shipping method." In other words, "it doesn't have to be all inside one box.

Or are you telling me the way I'm asking for it to function is already how it is supposed to work, without "enable packaging," checked?

Thanks.