Stripping Google Structured-Data Markup?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
MaryP
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Stripping Google Structured-Data Markup?

Post by MaryP » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:20 am

Hi, I'm trying to add some structured data to our AbleCommerce site on pages that are not product pages, but are webpages that were created to be more like articles. I used Google's tool (https://www.google.com/webmasters/markup-helper/) and then added the recommended markup to the content section in the webpage, but when I close the HTML window--even before I save the changes--the editor strips out the code that I added. They were just basic tags for author, published date, article body, etc. So here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to override this so I can manually add these schemas to my webpages? If not, then how do we add these? Able must support these schemas somehow bc they have built-in markup for product price, availability, etc.
2. Does the newest version of AbleCommerce with the blog have these schema markups already built-in so i wouldn't have to do it manually?

Thank you so much for your help!

MaryP

Re: Stripping Google Structured-Data Markup?

Post by MaryP » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:10 pm

I noticed from another thread that the WYSIWYG editor is what is most likely stripping my code. We're using AbleCommerce R8 and don't have the option to disable the WYSIWYG editor in our General Settings. What else can we do in this case?

nadeem
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by nadeem » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:46 am

Turning On/Off the WYSIWYG editor setting is added in Gold R10. Since you are using R8, therefore, you can't get advantage of that, however, you can make this update from code as a workaround. You can replace the HTML editor with textbox. To do so, you need to make the following updates to add/edit content pages.

For example, open Admin/Website/ContentPages/EditContentPage.aspx

Locate the following line

Code: Select all

<cb:HtmlEditor ID="WebpageContent" runat="server" Height="300px" Width="100%" Mode="Inline"></cb:HtmlEditor>
and replace with

<asp:TextBox ID="WebpageContent" runat="server" Height="200" Width="100%" TextMode="MultiLine"></asp:TextBox>
Now open the code behind file i.e. Admin/Website/ContentPages/EditContentPage.aspx.cs

Locate

WebpageContent.Value
and replace with

WebpageContent.Text
Note that there are two instances of 'WebpageContent.Value' on the page. One inside Page_Load method and other inside SaveButton_Click event. Both need to be updated for above change.

MaryP

Post by MaryP » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 am

Thank you, Nadeem. Do you know if the blog feature in R11 has blog/article schema data built into it?

nadeem
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by nadeem » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:33 am

Do you know if the blog feature in R11 has blog/article schema data built into it?
Yes. There are two new fields (Publish Date and Published By) are available on add/edit webpages to store author and publish date information to create blog pages. You can follow R11 post-upgrade instructions to make the blog up and running.