DEV key vs DEMO Mode

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
artfmv
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

DEV key vs DEMO Mode

Post by artfmv » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:19 am

I think a DEV license key and a LIVE license key running in DEMO mode do the exact same thing which is changes to the address data when an order is saved. I am running in DEV mode and almost all of my test orders are showing DEMO for the address fields. However, a few of my test orders show a different address. This is what is confusing me. I am about to migrate a site to production, and have been issue my live key. I just wanted to confirm my theory that DEV key and LIVE with DEMO mode are the same scenario so that when I install my LIVE key I know I'll get live addresses. Please advise. Thanks.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: DEV key vs DEMO Mode

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:35 am

Hello Art,

You are correct. Running in demo mode allows the store to respond on any ip/domain name as well. The live key in live mode will retain address information for sure!
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

artfmv
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by artfmv » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks, and sorry to nitpick, but I'm not in DEMO mode. So DEV key is analogous to running in DEMO Mode?

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 am

Hi there,

Here is an explanation of the different keys:

DEMO MODE - allows you to use ANY domain or IP address for the installation. This is handy if your development environment changes. The DEMO mode, which can be used with a dev or live license, will show a intermittent nag screen 'You are running a DEMO license" so that makes it undesirable if you are doing development. All addresses used for the checkout pages will show DEMO DEMO.

DEV LICENSE - this is exactly the same as a LIVE license except the addresses are converted to DEMO DEMO. There is no intermittent nag screen.

LIVE LICENSE - this license will have real data shown for addresses.

One thing you can do is request a LIVE license that includes BOTH your production and development domains. This way you can test using a live key and when you are ready to take the site live, the key will automatically work without any changes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

artfmv
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by artfmv » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks!