Providers such as ISerialKeyProvider should have a GUID ID

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Providers such as ISerialKeyProvider should have a GUID ID

Post by NC Software » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Take for example ISerialKeyProvider and I'm moving from 707 to GOLD. I have to create a new provider, how will the system know the correct provider from the former to the current? Yeah, it has to be (or better be) by Name, I'm hoping when I make the final move all of my serial key provider integrations migrate properly. There is nothing in the implementation requiring unique names, etc. of even a note that the name should remain the same as it's your identifier. With that said, going forward I highly recommend you use a GUID as your ObjectID or ProviderID whatever you want to call it so when digital goods, as one example, migrate from one to another the exact provider can be found through the migration process.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Re: Providers such as ISerialKeyProvider should have a GUID ID

Post by NC Software » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:35 pm

In review of how you tracking the Serial Provider it is going to break in the upgrade to GOLD because you're tracking namespace and class and in my case I changed it. In 707 I created a separate class library, in GOLD I created a sub-folder under the Code folder. I guess I could namespace it the same OR just update the database manually. I'll figure something out but hopefully you can learn from this situation to offer better handling of any provider implementation going forward as I suggested using a provider registry and provider ID or something along that line. Needs some thought.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:27 am

Namespace.ClassName will probably suffice, should probably be documented that it is used and cannot be changed for migration purposes. We may create new providers as Interfaces change, good thing I dug into this before this broke. I'm able to maintain the same namespace/class naming.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:12 pm

I did a migration test on my LIVE database (as a copy of course) and it set the key provider to MANUAL on my digital goods. The provider did not appear to migrate - FYI (bug?)
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.