"address overide" Paypal standard

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
Chris Hadden
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

"address overide" Paypal standard

Post by Chris Hadden » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:34 am

I am using paypal standard as a payment method. I am looking to change the the html button code. There is supposed to be a line called "address Overide" where the value can be set at 0 or 1 ....does anyone know where this would be located?

Thanks
Chris

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Re: "address overide" Paypal standard

Post by Naveed » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:27 am

You need the source code to make this change. The PayPal related code is under "PayPal" payment provider project, the code can be located under the "IntegratedProviders -> PayPal" folder in the PayNowButton.cs file.

Chris Hadden
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by Chris Hadden » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:18 am

Hmm..Ok I thought we all had the source code? but I don't see "integratedproviders" folder. What is the path to that? Is this something ablecommerce has to change?

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:49 am

Hello Chris,

The source code is an option at time of purchase. Most customer don't really need it to make customizations within AbleCommerce. What exactly is your goal with the "address override" setting? Maybe there is a different way to accomplish the task.

Thanks
Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

Chris Hadden
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by Chris Hadden » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:08 am

I get quite a few paypal payment failures from customers. This results in an order that is placed but the payment is not valid. One customer recently sent me the error message she was getting. The message is really not clear to an average user. The problem is we are getting mis-matches with addresses. In this case I found the woman had recently been married and her name did not match her paypal name. Frankly it does not matter to me if an address matches as my business has proven to be almost completely fraud free. In researching how I change the requirement the "address overide" seemed to be the first thing to look at. Turn the match requirement off. What do you think?

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:36 am

I haven't played around with the fraud management filters much, but isn't there a setting within the PayPal account which allows you to accept or deny based on the address being confirmed? You might want to check there first.

Chris Hadden
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by Chris Hadden » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:19 am

Yeah I have looked around at that and I have nothing setup on those, which led me to think it had to be set in the button code.

I am basing this on some posts by others on the paypal board:

"Usually this error happens when a seller is using the "address_override" option in their checkout or button code. When this variable is set to "1", it means that the address provided during your checkout is set to override any address in the customer's PayPal account. With this setting turned on, the customer would not have the option to edit the shipping address when they are redirected to PayPal for checkout. If the buyer entered an invalid shipping address on your website, they would probably see this error message. Usually an address is invalid if the buyer didn't enter one of the required values (name, address line 1, city, province/state, postal code and country ) or that information is not being sent to PayPal when the buyer is redirected to us for checkout.

The best solution is to remove the "address_override" variable from your button or checkout code. Another option if you want to leave the address_override setting on, is to make sure your checkout is validating the address form to ensure all required fields are provided and have acceptable formats."

Would it be a big deal to get it changed? I will try to contact paypal direct to make sure I am not missing something on that end.

Thanks

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:46 am

Hi Chris,

It's not a big deal to change it.

However, I am uncertain if this change would be desirable. If you customer is checking out and has entered their shipping address in AbleCommerce, then changing this "address_override" value would effectively ignore the address entered in AbleCommerce and instead use the one associated to the Paypal account. It seems like you might end up with orders that are shipping to the wrong location. AbleCommerce is going to create the order using the address info entered on the Able site. The order is generated that way, and the only way you would know if the address was different would be to process your orders within Paypal.

You might want to ask Paypal about it and see if they can confirm.

Thanks
Katie