Note Types - Purpose & Handling

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Note Types - Purpose & Handling

Post by AnySupport » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:08 am

Hello,
Recently, we've learned that there are four note types: Public, Private, SystemPublic, and SystemPrivate.
There is some custom underway that expands the standard logging for order activity as well as adds tracking for other areas of Admin. In testing, some confusion has come up about why only certain entries would appear in Notes Manager or why some notes under the Order Notes tab have certain functions allowed and some don't.
We need to make some decisions about which custom notes are assigned to which type, but need some more information to get our heads around them.

I looked in the Merchant Guide with no luck and could not find any breakdowns in the wiki. If there is another resource, please just point me to it!
Public & Private seem pretty straight forward (although if I've missed some significant aspect, please let me know).
I think I have at least a basic grasp of the SystemPrivate type, but I have no ideas about the SystemPublic type.

If anyone could explain the distinctions and intended purposes of these note types, it would be greatly appreciated!

Public:
  • Example: Entries added to an order by a customer from their View
  • Example: Entries added to an order by an admin user from within Admin ( Once saved, cannot be edited )
  • Appears in Manage Order Notes
  • Can trigger emails
  • ?
Private:
  • Example: Entries added to an order by an admin user from within Admin and checked as Private ( Once saved, can still be edited )
  • Appears in Manage Order Notes
  • Can trigger emails
  • Will be marked as Read when created. ( Can be unmarked as Read, by going back into edit and unchecking box)
SystemPublic:
  • No idea of an example or the purpose of this type
SystemPrivate:
  • Example: Logging an Order Status change,
  • Example: Payment gateway activity in Orders
  • Does not appear in Manage Order Notes
  • Always "Read"
  • Cannot be Deleted
Any corrections or clarifications would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Re: Note Types - Purpose & Handling

Post by Naveed » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:19 am

Public and System Public notes are the notes which will be visible to customers with order details. Private and SystemPrivate notes will only be visible to admin/merchant.

System notes will be added automatically by application when order status changes or some order event occurs. While normal notes are manually added.

Both customers and admin can add notes to order and emails can be configured for manual notes. Check the email templates "Note Added By Customer " and "Note Added By Merchant" and respective email event triggers.

AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by AnySupport » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:01 am

Thank you Naveed. Some of this is what I understood or a reasonable inference just from the names.

Since we're trying to figure out how to assign types to the custom notes, I still have a couple of questions.

What would be a type of SystemPublic note? Would this type appear in the Notes Manager or are both System types excluded there?

Besides the following, is there any other distinction between the types and the actions allowed on them when in Order Notes vs Manage Notes?
(Public= Unread when saved and cannot be edited, only deleted. Appears in Manage Orders
Private= Marked Read when saved. Can be edited or deleted. Appears in Manage Order
SystemPublic?
SystemPrivate= can't delete and does not appear in Manage Order)

Thank you!

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:10 am

What would be a type of SystemPublic note? Would this type appear in the Notes Manager or are both System types excluded there?
Both system types are excluded there. System Public only appears on notes tab on admin order screen or notes section in receipt/my order page. System public note type is used for notes added by system that should be visible to customer.

AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by AnySupport » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:37 am

All right, we'll work with this. Thank you.