Showing categories and thumbnail on homepage?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
Chris Hadden
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Showing categories and thumbnail on homepage?

Post by Chris Hadden » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:51 am

I want to have my homepage show the top categories as in [[ConLib:SimpleCategoryList]] but I want it in a grid with the category thumbnail shown, essentially have the look of the featured products but use categories instead..

nadeem
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Re: Showing categories and thumbnail on homepage?

Post by nadeem » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:35 am

You have to do bit of customization to show categories on home page similar to featured products. For example, make a copy of FeaturedProductsGrid control, name it something like FeaturedCategories and use the code from simple category list control and update that code to load all or the desired categories by categoryId.

You have to adjust the code to render category name and thumbnail etc. For that you might have to create a copy of the ProductItemDisplay control to use on FeaturedCategories control which should render the categories instead of product items.

Alternatively you can use the code from SimpleCategoryList.ascx control and make updates to show the category thumbnail along the category name (which is already showing as category link) without using and updating the product item display control.