Lost Encryption Key

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
efficiondave
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Lost Encryption Key

Post by efficiondave » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:49 am

I changed out the hardware (Processor, MB, Ram) on my server and that seems to have caused me to lose the Encryption key so I can't retrieve CC info and UPS shipping is broken. I haven't been able to find the Key.bin backup file for the site. I believe I do have the Random text string I used to generate the key but I haven't been able to get it back. Is there anyway to restore this info? This is for Gold R10 SR1. The hardware change didn't affect an AbleCommerce 7 site on the same server.

I did make a backup of the site files and db prior to the upgrade. Not sure if that helps.

Any ideas?
David

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Lost Encryption Key

Post by Katie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 am

Hello David,

Sorry, but without the key backup, there isn't anything you can do. Typically the key would be stored somewhere not on the server. You make the backup via the interface and that is copied to a local PC or secure place not on the server.

You can re-enter the shipping info., but the credit card info will be encrypted using the key in place at the time.

I am surprised that hardware would affect this. Are you certain that nothing changed in IIS or .Net?

Thanks
Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

jguengerich
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by jguengerich » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 am

Might be related to whatever causes some servers to need a static machineKey set in the web.config file. Without it, the machineKey changes at each reboot, and the existing AC encryption key is no longer valid.
(viewtopic.php?f=65&t=18580)
Jay

efficiondave
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by efficiondave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:02 am

Yeah, I had found that thread and added a MachineKey after the fact. We managed to get things set back up (Shipping and PayPal were broken) and running. And now I have the encryption key backed up to a few places.

jguengerich
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by jguengerich » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 am

Make sure you back up your web.config (or at least the machineKey part of it) too.
Jay

efficiondave
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by efficiondave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:01 am

Good point.