PayPal Express & Multiple Unpaid Orders

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

PayPal Express & Multiple Unpaid Orders

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 am

Hello -

We recently enabled PayPal (standard and express) for a client site, and today they are experiencing an issue where 12-15 orders are coming in with PayPal as payment option but payment is never made. Due to their expected order volume this time of year, we know these are fake orders that will never be paid. I've checked their IP addresses and they are all different, and we've confirmed PayPal has no record of payment.

Is there any way to prevent this? We allow guest checkout so we don't really want to hide PayPal until someone has an account, but as it stands now, orders are counted in AC before someone actually pays in PayPal.

Thanks,
Greg

Mizmo67
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: PayPal Express & Multiple Unpaid Orders

Post by Mizmo67 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:51 am

I don't know how to prevent...but I know a possible cause!

If ordering on the cell phone, checking out via PayPal creates the order...then there is a section in the order payment info where the Paypal button appears. It has to be clicked and followed all the way through to the end.

On cell phones...that area with the button may have it's window reduced and the button doesn't display...there is a plus sign to click on which would expand the box and make the button visible.

Very frustrating! If they don't see it, they won't complete the payment.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts LLC
Contact Me Via Store Website
Ablecommerce Gold R11 Catalog LIVE

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks for following up. I can see that as a potential problem, however, in this case I think it's unrelated. Normal order volume for this client is roughly 15 orders a day. On the day we had the issue, there were 12-15 PayPal orders alone (which have been roughly 5% of orders normally). I think our issue is due to bots. I'm not sure if this implementation for PayPal standard has to create an order before it routs them to PayPal, but I wish it worked like Express where it waits until the process is fully complete to mark the order.

Mizmo67
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by Mizmo67 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:00 am

I agree! If no payment completion there shouldn't be an order creation.

It does sound like a bot issue in your situation.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts LLC
Contact Me Via Store Website
Ablecommerce Gold R11 Catalog LIVE