Import/Export Product Variants and Custom Fields

The AbleCommerce data exchange is a useful feature for importing and updating data. The Data Exchange feature (just like the 7.0.x data port) is only supported via the forums or paid support.

*** BACKUP YOUR DATABASE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO USE THESE TOOLS ***
chemistrudy
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Import/Export Product Variants and Custom Fields

Post by chemistrudy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:05 am

Just installed R4, yesterday.

In looking at the the product import/export features, I am not finding a way to import/export product options and/or variants.

To determine the proper import format, an export is recommended in the manual. I have done this, but I don't see any product options/variants in the csv file that was created.

Same thing with product custom fields...

Could someone help me out with what I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Rudy

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Re: Import/Export Product Variants and Custom Fields

Post by Naveed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:50 am

Options/Variants import/export feature is not available for Gold R4. It is under consideration for Gold R5 but no decision has been made yet.

chemistrudy
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by chemistrudy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks for the heads up Naveed.

I'll build some queries to insert to the tables in SQL Server.

Many of my products have the same option and option choices, i.e:

Option: Container

Option Choices: 55gal drum, 30 gal drum, 15 gal drum, 5 gal drum, Case (4) 1 gal bottles.

I have noticed that when I add option and option choices from the admin pages, each product assigns a new option id and choices id's in the database.

In looking at adding options to products that I have imported, would it be recommended to have a 1:1 productid:optionid relationship, or many:1 productid:optionid in the database? Or, stated another way, what would be the downside of using the same optionid and corresponding option choices for multiple products?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Rudy

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 am

When linking same option to multiple products, if you ever need to modify the options for one product it will result updating all. This is an advantage and disadvantage at the same time depending upon what you require.

Tea-Dev
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by Tea-Dev » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:43 am

Can we use the old v7 data port utility to import variants?

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:51 am

Tea-Dev wrote:Can we use the old v7 data port utility to import variants?
No you can't, that utility doesn't work with AC Gold.

Tea-Dev
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by Tea-Dev » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 am

OK, in a hosted able commerce environment hosted by ABLECOMMERCE hpow can we add variants for about 1,500 products without having to individually type them in?

Do we have SQL access on the hosted environment.

Tea-Dev
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by Tea-Dev » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 am

Can we have an answer for this. We have 1,500 products that would probably yield over 6,000 varinats that would need to be inserted into teh system.

Tea-Dev
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by Tea-Dev » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:47 am

I just did an import for a CSV with 1,500 products and the import failed with cannot import from a closed file. Tested a few times and same problem. Seems to only happen with large record count files.

Tried import with 30 products and works fine.

Tried with 500 products and the import started working but will not stop at 500, we let it go for a while and we are now up to over 12,000 records. We finally stopoed it and got the following error.

http://catalog.midaschain.com/Admin/Dat ... mport.aspx

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maximum request length exceeded.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded.
Source Error:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Maximum request length exceeded.]
System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent() +9035643
System.Web.HttpRequest.GetMultipartContent() +68
System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection() +247
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() +104
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm() +9036751
System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull) +97
System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() +69
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +135

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

When looking at admin we see:
We see tons of products in the system. We need to delete them and do smaller imports. Maybe 100 at a time

Naveed
Rear Admiral (RADM)
Rear Admiral (RADM)

Post by Naveed » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 am

I just did an import for a CSV with 1,500 products and the import failed with cannot import from a closed file. Tested a few times and same problem. Seems to only happen with large record count files.
This is a known issue with Gold R4. We have fixed it for next release. There is an easy workaround for the issue for Gold R4 release, as the issue only exists only when uploading large text .csv files, so you can zip the file and upload the zipped version of csv file and it will work. Another option is to upload the .csv file to "~/App_Data/DataExchange/Upload" folder at server before import and use the select file from server option.