Adding Coupon Code After the order

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce GOLD ASP.Net shopping cart software.
kwikstand
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Adding Coupon Code After the order

Post by kwikstand » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

Is there any way to add the coupon code AFTER the customer places the order?

I sometimes have customers forget to use the code and then call me asking if I can add it. If I just simply give them a discount, they can use the coupon code again, which I have set for one use only. Also, I can't evaluate how well a promotion worked because the sale won't show in the coupon usage report.
Contractor's Solutions
www. contractors-solutions.net

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Adding Coupon Code After the order

Post by Katie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:37 am

I think you could make this work, but only with a customization. As you know, the coupons are tracked per customer so the first thing you won't be able to do is enter the code as an admin user. Now, once the order is created, you would typically have a pending authorization (before payment is actually captured). If you void the authorization, then the order will have a balance due. The customer can re-access the order and there is a payment form. On this page (Members/PayMyOrder.aspx) you could add the coupon form. I can't say for certain if this is a big customization, but I sort of doubt it. In fact, it would be great if you could request it as a feature. It seems perfectly reasonable to allow coupons on this page.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:02 am

It is pretty silly that we cannot add a coupon after the order is created. It also would be nice if when adding items to a order with a customer that has used a discount or has a discount assigned to their account that it automatically added that discount.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:39 am

I requested this long ago as well, I believe it should be an admin function to apply a coupon to an order so it handles the discounting and also reporting of the coupon usage. Katie, if you need me to find the original request I will search for it but it has been asked for in the past.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by AnySupport » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:50 am

My client and I have also just discovered that this isn't possible and this is going to be a fairly significant workflow issue for them.
  • Adding a coupon after the order is placed. (same example of a customer forgetting to add it and calling customer service)
  • Adding an item to an order that hasn't shipped yet (at least in a 2nd shipment that is pending shipment, didn't test yet if adding it to the original shipment segment if pending but included the coupon) - The system they have that is getting replaced would carry forward discounts to any items within that order (they don't have the ability to limit by product there).
  • How to handle when a product is returned or exchanged. The original coupon still applies to that customer's order, but the date could easily be outside of the promotional range. This is outside of the OP's request, but I can't imagine my client is the only customer this would come into play for.
We did find a discount could be added through the "Add Other Item" button when editing an order. But:
  • Primarily, it creates a trap/opportunity for human error via calculations and data entry. Especially if the cs rep is trying to work with a difficult customer on the phone while making the changes.
  • The text is free form which requires figuring out what approach to take with that field. Always use the code and hope no one makes a typo? Enter something like COUPON for later custom analysis programing?
  • Which leads to the fact of reporting issues. Now how to handle gathering the reports on these coupons as well as the discounts carried forward with multiple shipping segments of a an order or perhaps across multiple orders (if the exchange is perhaps purchased as a separate order, to not wait for the turn around of shipping back, refund and reordering an item.)
  • The discount appears as a a line item, but we haven't tested how that will impact packing lists (which would list the discounts and payments separately from the products).
It seems like the "Add Other Item-Discount" option is good for allowing credits given at the company's discretion, but there should be a way to Add a coupon code with the option to allow it outside of the original date range (perhaps across the store, or accessible only by particularly user groups).. I don't know if it makes more sense to put it under Payments, since that's what it is, or as an option under "Add Other Item" since there one can choose which shipping segment to apply it against.

If someone finds the original request or a new one, please post the link here and I'll definitely throw my votes behind it.

Thank you!

AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by AnySupport » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:22 am

I have searched and could not find any previous entry for this request for coupon handling by the admin order edits within Uservoice, so I have added one. Please add votes, comments, etc there!

https://ablecommerce.uservoice.com/foru ... -order-com

Please also consider voting for the similar Gift Certificate request of adding it as a regular payment from admin when a customer forgets to apply it:
https://ablecommerce.uservoice.com/foru ... -after-ori
(similar to coupon situation, but coupons and gift certificates are different enough systems that I thought it might be better to have the requests considered separately, instead of making it a both or none situation)

Thank you!